Differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x

In summary, for part a) of the differential equation, the value of b for which y=2x+b is a solution is b=1. For part b), the function g(x) satisfies the given differential equation and has a critical point at (0,0). To find if it is a local extremum, we need to integrate and solve for the constant of integration. Moving on to the conversation about series, the interval of convergence for the given McLauren series is -1/2 < x < 1/2. To determine if the endpoints are convergent or divergent, we need to examine the series at those points, which can be done by using the ratio test.
nns91

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x

a. Find the value of b for which y=2x+b is a solution to the given differential equation

b.Let g be the function that satisfies the given differential equation with the initial condition g(0)=0. Does the graph of g have a local extremum at the point (0,0) ? If so, is the point a local maximum or minimum

Homework Equations

integration, derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

a. So I choose point (1,0) and plug in y=2x+b and solve for b=1. Then I have y=2x+1. AM I right ? It seems too easy to be right. Is it harder than I thought ?

b. So do I have to integrate ? I found that (0,0) is a critical point. How do I move on ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a) what you need to do is find dy/dx from your given solution and then substitute y in the differential equation and find b. Can you do that?

It would be beneficial to solve the differential equation.

a. Got cha.

b. is g(x)= 2x+1 ? Am I right ? It sounds wrong

nns91 said:
a. Got cha.

b. is g(x)= 2x+1 ? Am I right ? It sounds wrong

Do you know how to solve 1st order DEs of the form
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x) y=Q(x)[/tex]

via an integrating factor?

Yeah. so is the integrating factor only e^2 ?
I got the final equation as y=-2x^2. Am I right ?

Also a question about series:

Given a McLauren series: (2x)^n+1 / (n+1)

(a). Find interval of convergence.

So I used ratio test and found that -1/2 <x<1/2. I am testing the end point. At x=1/2, the series will be 1/(n+1) and at x=-1/2, series is (-1)^n+1 / (n+1). How do I prove whether or not they are divergent or convergent. Does 1/ (n+1) converge to 0 ?

Related to Differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x

1. What is the meaning of the equation dy/dx = 2y-4x?

The equation dy/dx = 2y-4x represents a first-order linear differential equation, where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of y with respect to x.

2. How do you solve the differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x?

To solve the differential equation dy/dx = 2y-4x, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating all y terms on one side of the equation and all x terms on the other side, and then integrating both sides with respect to x. The resulting equation can be solved for y to obtain the general solution.

3. What is the general solution of dy/dx = 2y-4x?

The general solution of dy/dx = 2y-4x is y = Ce^2x + 2x + D, where C and D are arbitrary constants. This solution satisfies the differential equation for all values of x.

4. Can dy/dx = 2y-4x be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, dy/dx = 2y-4x can be used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and heat transfer. By assigning appropriate values to the constants C and D, we can obtain specific solutions that accurately describe the behavior of the system.

5. What are the applications of differential equations in science and engineering?

Differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering. They are used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as in mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to analyze and understand complex systems.