Differential Equation general solution

In summary: For part (1), you are on your way to getting the solution, but that is not the final answer. For one, where is your constant of integration? What expression is on the left hand side of your answer? And, as pizzasky said, you forgot the constant of integration.For part (2), just involves some substitution to enable you to evaluate the constant of integration for a particular solution.For part (3), may I know whether we are supposed to use the expression for the general solution (part 1's answer) or that of the particular solution (part 2's answer)?
Natasha1
1) I need to find the general solution, using the method of seperating the variables of the following diff Equ:

dy/dx = (2xcos x)/y where y>0

Is the answer = 2(cos x + xsinx)

2) If y = 2 when x = 0, find y in terms of x

Could someone help me on this one

3) Explain why your answer may not be used for x=pi. Comment in relation to the solution curve through (0,2).

Could someone help me on this one please

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (1), you are on your way to getting the solution, but that is not the final answer. For one, where is your constant of integration? What expression is on the left hand side of your answer?

Part (2) just involves some substitution to enable you to evaluate the constant of integration for a particular solution.

For part (3), may I know whether we are supposed to use the expression for the general solution (part 1's answer) or that of the particular solution (part 2's answer)?

pizzasky said:
For part (1), you are on your way to getting the solution, but that is not the final answer. For one, where is your constant of integration? What expression is on the left hand side of your answer?

Part (2) just involves some substitution to enable you to evaluate the constant of integration for a particular solution.

For part (3), may I know whether we are supposed to use the expression for the general solution (part 1's answer) or that of the particular solution (part 2's answer)?

For part 3) I suppose any of the two

Natasha1 said:
1) I need to find the general solution, using the method of seperating the variables of the following diff Equ:

dy/dx = (2xcos x)/y where y>0

Is the answer = 2(cos x + xsinx)
Is what = 2(cos x+ x sin x)? Using integration by parts, the integral of 2xcos x dx is 2(cos x+ x sin x) but what happened to ydy?
And, as pizzasky said, you forgot the constant of integration.

2) If y = 2 when x = 0, find y in terms of x

Could someone help me on this one
Just do it! Replace y with 2 and x with 0 in your formula to determine what the constant of integration must be. Then solve for y.

3) Explain why your answer may not be used for x=pi. Comment in relation to the solution curve through (0,2).
Well, what happens if you set x= pi?

Could someone help me on this one please

Related to Differential Equation general solution

1. What is a general solution for a differential equation?

A general solution for a differential equation is an equation that includes all possible solutions to the differential equation. It contains a constant, called the arbitrary constant, which allows for infinite solutions to be represented.

2. How do you find the general solution to a differential equation?

To find the general solution to a differential equation, you must first solve the equation by separating the variables and integrating both sides. This will result in a general equation with an arbitrary constant. The constant can then be solved for using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

3. Can a differential equation have multiple general solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple general solutions. This is because the general solution contains an arbitrary constant, which can take on any value. Therefore, there can be an infinite number of possible solutions to a differential equation.

4. How does the order of a differential equation affect its general solution?

The order of a differential equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. The higher the order, the more complex the general solution will be. A first-order differential equation will have a simpler general solution compared to a second or third-order equation.

5. Can the general solution to a differential equation be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

It depends on the specific differential equation. Some differential equations can be solved using elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. However, there are also many differential equations that cannot be solved using elementary functions and require more advanced mathematical techniques.