Differential Equation: Trouble finding constants in PI-regulator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with particular and homogeneous parts, and finding the constants C1 and C2 using a starting condition. The conversation also touches on using the method of undetermined coefficients to solve for a particular solution to an inhomogeneous differential equation, and resolving boundary conditions. The application of this knowledge is also mentioned in the context of fluid regulation in a tank using a PI-regulator.
Twinflower
Until now, I have come this far:The differential equation equals the particular part, and the homogene part:
[tex]x = x_p + x_h[/tex]

The homogene part equals the differential equation when set to zero
[tex]
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times x(t) = 0
[/tex]

Converting the derviates into lambda, and inserting values for constants it turns into this:

[tex]A = 1, K_p = 0,02, T_i = 200[/tex]

[tex]
\lambda^2 + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \lambda + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} = 0
[/tex]

Solving the equation with regard to lambda, I get:
[tex]Lambda_1 = Lambda_2 = -0.01[/tex]It is now time to assume the form of the solution of the homogene part, which should be like this:
[tex]C_1 \times e^{\lambda t} + C_2 \times t \times e^{\lambda t}[/tex]

C1 and C2 are the constants I have trouble finding
According to what I have learned, I have to set the whole original equation = starting condition when time = 0 to find them.

Starting condition: [itex]x(0) = 1[/itex]

Consequently:
[tex]x(0) = 1 = x_p + x_h[/tex]

Inserting values for particular and homogene part
(particular part = 1) (t = 0)

[tex]x(0) = 1 = 1 + C_1 \times e^{\lambda 0} + C_2 \times 0 \times e^{\lambda 0}[/tex]

When trying to solve this equation with regards to C1 and C2, I get that C2 is canceled out when multiplying with T = 0.

The real values of C1 and C2 is found when solving the derivate of the start condition with regards to C1 and C2. The first one is to find the relation between them (example: c1 = -c2 or similar)

Can someone help me out here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Twinflower! :smile:

Twinflower said:
Until now, I have come this far:

The differential equation equals the particular part, and the homogene part:
[tex]x = x_p + x_h[/tex]

The homogene part equals the differential equation when set to zero
[tex]
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times x(t) = 0
[/tex]

Converting the derviates into lambda, and inserting values for constants it turns into this:

[tex]A = 1, K_p = 0,02, T_i = 200[/tex]

[tex]
\lambda^2 + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \lambda + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} = 0
[/tex]

Solving the equation with regard to lambda, I get:
[tex]Lambda_1 = Lambda_2 = -0.01[/tex]

It is now time to assume the form of the solution of the homogene part, which should be like this:
[tex]C_1 \times e^{\lambda t} + C_2 \times t \times e^{\lambda t}[/tex]
(The Latex doesn't illustrate correctly, but it is e^(lambda x t)

Try using curly braces {} for the parts you want to keep together.
(Fixed it in your post.)

Twinflower said:
C1 and C2 are the constants I have trouble finding
According to what I have learned, I have to set the whole original equation = starting condition when time = 0 to find them.

Hmm, that's not how I learned it.
I'm used to first solving for the particular solution.

For that you would have to restart with the entire differential equation, meaning the part that is dependent on t, but not on x(t), which is the inhomogeneous part.

Or don't you have such a part?

Twinflower said:
Starting condition: [itex]x(0) = 1[/itex]

Consequently:
[tex]x(0) = 1 = x_p + x_h[/tex]

Inserting values for particular and homogene part
(particular part = 1) (t = 0)

[tex]x(0) = 1 = 1 + C_1 \times e^{\lambda \cdot 0} + C_2 \times 0 \times e^{\lambda \cdot 0}[/tex]

Assuming you have no inhomogeneous part, you should do it like this:

[tex]x(0) = 1 = C_1 \times e^{\lambda \cdot 0} + C_2 \times 0 \times e^{\lambda \cdot 0} = C_1[/tex]

This way, you have solved one constant, but you still have the freedom of a second constant.
To find the second constant, you need another constraint.
For instance x'(0) if you have that.

Twinflower said:
When trying to solve this equation with regards to C1 and C2, I get that C2 is canceled out when multiplying with T = 0.

The real values of C1 and C2 is found when solving the derivate of the start condition with regards to C1 and C2. The first one is to find the relation between them (example: c1 = -c2 or similar)

Can someone help me out here?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but maybe what you call the inhomogeneous part is what I call the particular part.

Or do you refer to the part that the entire differential equation equals to?

In that case; This is the entire differential equation after setting it up:
[tex]
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times x(t) = \frac{K_p}{A\times T_i} \times r
[/tex]

To put this in perspective, this case is about fluid regulation in a tank by the means of a PI-regulator.

The R is the desired level, and X = the actual level (measured in meter above the tank's floor)

and yes, I think I have the x'(0):

[tex]
x'(0) = - \frac{V}{A} = r + C_1 \lambda e^{\lambda t} + C_2 t \lambda e^{\lambda t}
[/tex]
But I am not sure if this is derivated correctly. (the last part with C2 and the 2 t's)
This will render C2 multiplied with 0 once again

Last edited:
Twinflower said:
I'm not entirely sure about this, but maybe what you call the inhomogeneous part is what I call the particular part.

Or do you refer to the part that the entire differential equation equals to?

In that case; This is the entire differential equation after setting it up:
[tex]
\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \frac{K_p}{A} \times \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times x(t) = \frac{K_p}{A\times T_i} \times r
[/tex]

Yes, this is what I mean.
To solve it, you need to find a particular solution to the entire differential equation (which is called an inhomogeneous differential equation).
Since the right hand side is a constant, the particular solution can be "guessed" to be a constant as well (method of undetermined coefficients).If you fill in [itex]x=C_0[/itex], you should find this is indeed a solution if:
[tex]\frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times x(t) = \frac{K_p}{A \times T_i} \times C_0 = \frac{K_p}{A\times T_i} \times r[/tex]

In other words if [itex]C_0 = r[/itex] and therefore [itex]x_p = r[/itex]
After that, you can resolve your boundary conditions with x(0) and x'(0) ...
Twinflower said:
To put this in perspective, this case is about fluid regulation in a tank by the means of a PI-regulator.

The R is the desired level, and X = the actual level (measured in meter above the tank's floor)

Interesting! :)
What kind of education do you do to learn about stuff like this?
Twinflower said:
and yes, I think I have the x'(0):

[tex]
x'(0) = - \frac{V}{A} = r + C_1 \lambda e^{\lambda t} + C_2 t \lambda e^{\lambda t}
[/tex]
But I am not sure if this is derivated correctly. (the last part with C2 and the 2 t's)
This will render C2 multiplied with 0 once again

Your derivative is not quite right.
You should apply the product rule for differentiation...

I really appreciate that you spend so much time with detailed explanations, Serena :)

I am studying to bachelor in electrical engineering, but this problem is a large case-study created by my teacher. It is supposed to be some of the foundation for my upcoming exam.

But thanks for pointing out that I missed the product rule. I am back on track now :)

Ok, so I've fixed the last derivative to this:
[tex]
x'(0) = - \frac{V}{A} = C_1 \lambda e^{\lambda t} + C_2 t \lambda e^{\lambda t} + C_2 e^{\lambda t}
[/tex]
Inserting values; r = 1, C1 = 0, V= 0.005, A = 1

[tex]
x'(0) = -0.005 = 0 + 0 + C_2 e^0
[/tex]

[tex]
-0.005 = C_2
[/tex]

Now for the final solution;
C1 = 0
C2 = -0.005
Lambda = -0.01
r = 1

[tex]
x = x_p + x_h
[/tex]

[tex]
x = 1 - 0.005t e^{-0.01t}
[/tex]

Twinflower said:
I really appreciate that you spend so much time with detailed explanations, Serena :)

I am studying to bachelor in electrical engineering, but this problem is a large case-study created by my teacher. It is supposed to be some of the foundation for my upcoming exam.

But thanks for pointing out that I missed the product rule. I am back on track now :)

Thanks!
And I believe you are done! :smile:

Related to Differential Equation: Trouble finding constants in PI-regulator

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It involves derivatives, which represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

2. What is a PI-regulator?

A PI-regulator is a type of feedback control system that uses a proportional-integral (PI) controller to regulate a process or system. It is commonly used in engineering and science to control variables such as temperature, pressure, or flow rate.

3. Why is it difficult to find constants in a PI-regulator?

Finding the optimal values for the constants in a PI-regulator can be challenging because it requires a thorough understanding of the system or process being controlled. It also involves trial and error, as well as mathematical calculations, to determine the best values for the proportional and integral constants.

4. What is the purpose of finding constants in a PI-regulator?

The purpose of finding constants in a PI-regulator is to ensure that the controlled process or system operates efficiently and accurately. The values of the constants determine the response of the PI-regulator to changes in the process or system, and ultimately affect its stability and performance.

5. What are some strategies for finding the constants in a PI-regulator?

There are several strategies for finding the constants in a PI-regulator, including trial and error, analytical methods, and computer simulations. It is also important to consider the specific requirements and limitations of the process or system being controlled when determining the values of the constants.