Differential Equations Describing Magnetic Fields Around Magnets

In summary, the magnetic field around a magnet can be described by a differential equation, specifically the field of a magnetic dipole. The equation is given in vector notation and involves the dot product of the magnetic dipole and the position vector. Some simple examples of such equations were requested.
EroticNirvana
The magnetic field around a magnet very much looks like the solution of a differential equation (which I guess it is, at least apprx). Now, can anyone give my a few simple exaples of such differential equations describing a magnetic field around a magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are not too close to the magnet, the field around it is the field of a magnetic dipole [tex]{\bf m}[/tex]. In vector notation, the magnetic field is given by
[tex{\bf B=-\nabla\left(\frac{\bf m\cdot r}{r^3}\right)
=\frac{3({\bf m\cdot{\hat r}){\hat r}-m}}{r^3}.
[/tex]

Last edited:
browser malf?

i see only strange symbols in the above msg. Does my browser not work properly?

[tex] {\bf B=-\nabla\left(\frac{\bf m\cdot r}{r^3}\right)
=\frac{3({\bf m\cdot{\hat r}){\hat r}-m}}{r^3}.
[/tex]

I think he forgot to close a ] around the tex notation. :)

Related to Differential Equations Describing Magnetic Fields Around Magnets

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function at a given point.

How are differential equations used to describe magnetic fields?

Differential equations are used to describe magnetic fields by representing the relationship between the magnetic field strength and the current density, as well as the magnetic flux and the electric field. They can also be used to describe the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

What is the significance of using differential equations in describing magnetic fields around magnets?

Using differential equations allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of magnetic fields around magnets. It also allows us to analyze the effects of different factors, such as the shape and strength of the magnet, on the magnetic field.

How do we solve differential equations for magnetic fields?

Differential equations for magnetic fields can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and the Runge-Kutta method, can also be used to approximate solutions.

Can differential equations be used to describe other physical systems?

Yes, differential equations are widely used in physics and other sciences to describe a variety of physical systems, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering and economics to model and analyze complex systems.