Differential equations question

In summary, throughout this problem, the author is trying to solve for the rock's acceleration as a function of time, and they start off with the equation ay = g - bvy. However, when they try to integrate the equation, they get an incorrect answer because v is not a constant. The author then goes on to solve for v using another equation, and finally gets the correct answer.
Spoti112
I saw this problem and solved it but still I had one question...

Homework Statement

A rock falls through water with a continuously decreasing acceleration. Assume that the rock’s acceleration as a function of velocity has the form ay = g - bvy where b is a positive constant. (The +y direction is directly downward.) Prove mathematically that if the rock is released from rest at time t=0, the acceleration will depend exponentially on time according to ay(t) = g*e-2bt.

ay = g - bVy , b>0 , b=const
t=0 → V0=0 m/s

Homework Equations

dVy/dt = ay
Vy = ∫aydt

The Attempt at a Solution

ay = g - bVy
dVy/dt = g - bVy
dVy / (g - bVy) = dt ⇒ t = -(1/b)*ln(g - bVy) + c
0=-(1/b)*ln(g - bVy) + c ⇒ c = (ln(g)) / b
⇒ bt = ln(g) - ln(ay) ⇒ ay(t) = g*e-2bt

BUT... when i do it this way it doesn't i get this: (this was my first try)
Vy = ∫aydt = gt - bVyt + c
t=0 → V0=0 ⇒ c=0
Vy = gt - bVyt ⇒ Vy * (1+bt) = gt
ay = dVy/dt = (d/dt) * ( gt/(1+bt) ) = g/(bt+1)2 → ?

is this second answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spoti112 said:
I saw this problem and solved it but still I had one question...

Homework Statement

A rock falls through water with a continuously decreasing acceleration. Assume that the rock’s acceleration as a function of velocity has the form ay = g - bvy where b is a positive constant. (The +y direction is directly downward.) Prove mathematically that if the rock is released from rest at time t=0, the acceleration will depend exponentially on time according to ay(t) = g*e-2bt.

ay = g - bVy , b>0 , b=const
t=0 → V0=0 m/s

Homework Equations

dVy/dt = ay
Vy = ∫aydt

The Attempt at a Solution

ay = g - bVy
dVy/dt = g - bVy
dVy / (g - bVy) = dt ⇒ t = -(1/b)*ln(g - bVy) + c
0=-(1/b)*ln(g - bVy) + c ⇒ c = (ln(g)) / b
⇒ bt = ln(g) - ln(ay) ⇒ ay(t) = g*e-2bt

BUT... when i do it this way it doesn't i get this: (this was my first try)
Vy = ∫aydt = gt - bVyt + c
t=0 → V0=0 ⇒ c=0
Vy = gt - bVyt ⇒ Vy * (1+bt) = gt
ay = dVy/dt = (d/dt) * ( gt/(1+bt) ) = g/(bt+1)2 → ?

is this second answer correct?
Where does the 2 come from in the exponential in your first answer? I believe there should not be any 2 there. ## \\ ## For this problem, I like to write the equation ## \frac{dv}{dt}=g-bv ## as a differential equation ## \frac{dv}{dt}+bv=g ## and then find the homogeneous solution, along with the particular solution for ## v ##. Taking ## a=\frac{dv}{dt} ## gives the final result. I got the same answer in that manner, but again, without a 2 in the exponential. ## \\ ## For your second method, you don't know what the function ## v=v(t) ## looks like, so you can't integrate ## \int bv \, dt ##. The result you give for the integral is incorrect, and really undetermined, until you know what ## v=v(t) ## is.

Last edited:
sorry there is no 2. I have made a mistake when i was writing this post... and i copied it everywhere...

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
For your second method, you don't know what the function v=v(t)v=v(t) v=v(t) looks like, so you can't integrate ∫bvdt∫bvdt \int bv \, dt . The result you give for the integral is incorrect, and really undetermined, until you know what v=v(t)v=v(t) v=v(t) is.
don`t i know the function from the V(t=0)=0 and the differential equation that i get from the integral Vy = ∫aydt (here i integrate a known function) ?
i mean aren't these two thing enough?

Spoti112 said:
don`t i know the function from the V(t=0)=0 and the differential equation that i get from the integral Vy = ∫aydt (here i integrate a known function) ?
i mean aren't these two thing enough?
The statement ## v=\int\limits_{0}^{t} a \, dt +v_o ## is correct, but when you put in the form ## a=g-bv ## , you are now working with ## v=v(t) ## in the integral. ## v ## is not a constant in this integrand, and you do not know its functional form ## v=v(t) ##.

Likes Spoti112
GOT it! thank you very much!

Likes Charles Link

Related to Differential equations question

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve functions of one variable, while PDEs involve functions of multiple variables.

3. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important in many fields of science and engineering, as they are used to model and solve various physical phenomena and systems. They are also used in data analysis and forecasting.

4. What are the methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods include numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

5. Are there real-life applications of differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Examples include modeling population growth, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing electrical circuits.