Differential form of the velocity equation in a non-standard configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses the composition of velocities in non-standard configuration in special relativity. It introduces the equation for the particle's velocity in a frame S' with respect to a frame S, as well as the differentiation of this equation. The conversation also includes some notational shorthand and a simplified version of the original equation. The conversation ends with the speaker struggling to prove the final result of the differentiation using various methods.
Shirish
I'm reading a text on special relativity (Core Principles of Special and General Relativity), in which we start with the equation for composition of velocities in non-standard configuration. Frame ##S'## velocity w.r.t. ##S## is ##\vec v##, and the velocity of some particle in ##S'## is ##\vec u##. Then the particle's velocity in ##S'## is:

$$\vec u'=\frac{\vec u-\vec v}{1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2}+\frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}\frac{\vec v\times(\vec v\times\vec u)}{(1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2)}$$

where ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}## and ##\vec v## and ##c## are constants. Then the text states that "differentiating" the above equation gives us
$$d\vec u'=\frac{1}{\gamma(1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2)^2}\bigg[d\vec u-\frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}(\vec v.d\vec u)\ \vec v+\frac{1}{c^2}\vec v\times\vec u\times d\vec u\bigg]$$

I'm struggling with proving this. Just to reduce some of the notational headache, if we denote ##f(\vec u)=\frac{1}{1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2}##, then
$$df(\vec u)=\frac{f(\vec u)^2\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}$$

Also let ##K\equiv \frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}##. Then the original equation is:
$$\vec u'=f(\vec u)(\vec u-\vec v)+Kf(\vec u)\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u))$$

Differentiating (writing ##f## without its argument for convenience),
$$d\vec u'=(\vec u-\vec v)\ df+fd\vec u + K\ df\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + Kf\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-Kfv^2d\vec u$$
$$=\frac{f^2(\vec u-\vec v)\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}+fd\vec u + K\ \frac{f^2\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + Kf\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-Kfv^2d\vec u$$
$$=f^2\bigg[\frac{(\vec u-\vec v)\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}+\frac{d\vec u}{f} + K\ \frac{\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + \frac{K}{f}\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-\frac{K}{f}v^2d\vec u\bigg]$$

Beyond this, I'm really not able to get to the final result despite trying a bunch of times. Not sure if I'm overcomplicating things or missing some magical identity that simplifies everything. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shirish said:
I'm reading a text on special relativity (Core Principles of Special and General Relativity), in which we start with the equation for composition of velocities in non-standard configuration. Frame S′ velocity w.r.t. S is v→, and the velocity of some particle in S′ is u→. Then the particle's velocity in S′ is:
I read your "and the velocity of some particle in S′ is u→. " as "and the velocity of some particle in S(NO DASH) is u→. ". Just a confirmation.

Likes Shirish
anuttarasammyak said:
I read your "and the velocity of some particle in S′ is u→. " as "and the velocity of some particle in S(NO DASH) is u→. ". Just a confirmation.
Yes that's correct, there shouldn't be a prime. I'll edit the question.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Shirish said:
I'm reading a text on special relativity (Core Principles of Special and General Relativity), in which we start with the equation for composition of velocities in non-standard configuration. Frame ##S'## velocity w.r.t. ##S## is ##\vec v##, and the velocity of some particle in ##S'## is ##\vec u##. Then the particle's velocity in ##S'## is:

$$\vec u'=\frac{\vec u-\vec v}{1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2}+\frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}\frac{\vec v\times(\vec v\times\vec u)}{(1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2)}$$

where ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}## and ##\vec v## and ##c## are constants. Then the text states that "differentiating" the above equation gives us
$$d\vec u'=\frac{1}{\gamma(1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2)^2}\bigg[d\vec u-\frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}(\vec v.d\vec u)\ \vec v+\frac{1}{c^2}\vec v\times\vec u\times d\vec u\bigg]$$

I'm struggling with proving this. Just to reduce some of the notational headache, if we denote ##f(\vec u)=\frac{1}{1-\vec u.\vec v\ /\ c^2}##, then
$$df(\vec u)=\frac{f(\vec u)^2\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}$$

Also let ##K\equiv \frac{\gamma}{c^2(1+\gamma)}##. Then the original equation is:
$$\vec u'=f(\vec u)(\vec u-\vec v)+Kf(\vec u)\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u))$$

Differentiating (writing ##f## without its argument for convenience),
$$d\vec u'=(\vec u-\vec v)\ df+fd\vec u + K\ df\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + Kf\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-Kfv^2d\vec u$$
$$=\frac{f^2(\vec u-\vec v)\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}+fd\vec u + K\ \frac{f^2\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + Kf\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-Kfv^2d\vec u$$
$$=f^2\bigg[\frac{(\vec u-\vec v)\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}+\frac{d\vec u}{f} + K\ \frac{\vec v.d\vec u}{c^2}\ (\vec v\times (\vec v\times\vec u)) + \frac{K}{f}\vec v\ (\vec v.d\vec u)-\frac{K}{f}v^2d\vec u\bigg]$$

Beyond this, I'm really not able to get to the final result despite trying a bunch of times. Not sure if I'm overcomplicating things or missing some magical identity that simplifies everything. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

As that's a vector equation, you could try doing it for one component at a time. Start with ##du_x##. The other two should be the same.

I am an old student of vector mathematics. Vector product
[tex]\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{u}\times\mathbf{du}[/tex]
in the second formula of OP seems ambiguous. Is it
[tex](\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{u})\times\mathbf{du},[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{v}\times(\mathbf{u}\times\mathbf{du})[/tex]
or other?

anuttarasammyak said:
I am an old student of vector mathematics. Vector product
[tex]\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{u}\times\mathbf{du}[/tex]
in the second formula of OP seems ambiguous. Is it
[tex](\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{u})\times\mathbf{du},[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{v}\times(\mathbf{u}\times\mathbf{du})[/tex]
or other?
That's how it's written in the book, unfortunately. I'm thinking it should be ##(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{u})\times d\mathbf{u}##, since ##\mathbf{v}\times(\mathbf{u}\times d\mathbf{u})## is zero as ##\mathbf{u}## and ##d\mathbf{u}## are parallel.

We can accelerate a moving body in any direction, so not always zero. It seems that formula in the textbook has something wrong. In the way of OP you may have a chance to get the right result.

Last edited:

1. What is the differential form of the velocity equation?

The differential form of the velocity equation is a mathematical representation of the velocity of an object in terms of its position, time, and acceleration. It is expressed as v = dx/dt, where v is the velocity, dx is the change in position, and dt is the change in time.

2. How is the differential form of the velocity equation different in a non-standard configuration?

In a non-standard configuration, the differential form of the velocity equation may include additional variables such as angular velocity or other specialized parameters. The specific form of the equation will depend on the unique characteristics of the system being studied.

3. Can the differential form of the velocity equation be applied to any type of motion?

Yes, the differential form of the velocity equation can be applied to any type of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It is a fundamental equation in physics and is used to describe the motion of objects in a wide range of scenarios.

4. How is the differential form of the velocity equation derived?

The differential form of the velocity equation is derived from the definition of velocity as the rate of change of position over time. By taking the derivative of the position equation with respect to time, the differential form of the velocity equation can be obtained.

5. What are the practical applications of the differential form of the velocity equation?

The differential form of the velocity equation is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and robotics. It is used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, design and control systems, and understand complex physical phenomena such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields.