Differential Form on Product Manifold

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a statement regarding the product manifold MxN and the isomorphism of its tangent space. It is shown that if w and w' are k-forms in M and N, respectively, then their sum is also a k-form in MxN. The proof is based on dualizing both sides of the isomorphism and using the property of direct sums of dual spaces. The conversation ends with a query about any additional information or findings.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, I have an exercise whose solution seems too simple; please double-check my work:

We have a product manifold MxN, and want to show that if w is a k-form in M and

w' is a k-form in N, then ##(w \bigoplus w')(X,Y)## , for vector fields X,Y in M,N respectively,

is a k-form in MxN.

I am assuming k=1 , and then we can generalize. My proof:

We start with (the isomorphism):

##(T_{(m,n)}(M\times N) = (T_m M \bigoplus T_n N)##,

Then, dualizing both sides:##(T_{(m,n)} (M \times N))^* =(T_m M \bigoplus T_n N)^*##.

We then use that ##(A \bigoplus B)^*= A^* \bigoplus B^*## , to get :

##(T_{(m,n)} (M \times N))^* = (T_m M )^*\bigoplus (T_n N)^* ##.

Is that all there is to it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Related to Differential Form on Product Manifold

What is a differential form on a product manifold?

A differential form on a product manifold is a mathematical object that describes a smooth variation of a quantity as we move through different points on a product manifold. Essentially, it assigns a quantity to each point on the product manifold in a smooth and consistent way.

How is a differential form on a product manifold different from a differential form on a single manifold?

A differential form on a product manifold is a combination of differential forms on each individual manifold that make up the product manifold. This means that it takes into account the structure and properties of each individual manifold, and how they interact with each other.

What is the importance of studying differential forms on product manifolds?

Differential forms on product manifolds are essential for understanding and solving problems in many areas of mathematics and science, including differential geometry, physics, and engineering. They allow us to describe and analyze a wide range of systems and phenomena in a precise and elegant manner.

How are differential forms on product manifolds used in physics?

In physics, differential forms on product manifolds are used to describe physical quantities that vary smoothly in space and time. They are especially useful in theories of gravity, where they allow us to describe the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of particles and fields in a consistent and covariant way.

Can differential forms on product manifolds be visualized?

While differential forms on product manifolds cannot be directly visualized, they can be represented and understood through various mathematical tools and techniques. These include vector fields, tangent and cotangent spaces, and differential operations such as exterior derivatives and Lie derivatives.