Characterizing the adjoint representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the action of the adjoint representation of U on the generators of su(N), and the desire to characterize the matrix Λ(U) and its independent elements. It is known that Λ(U) belongs to a subspace of SO(N2-1) and that it preserves a 3-form. However, finding details on this characterization has proven difficult. The conversation also mentions the group homomorphism of Ad and its regular matrix properties, but notes that Ad is not a linear transformation.
Luck0
Let U ∈ SU(N) and {ta} be the set of generators of su(N), a = 1, ..., N2 - 1. The action of the adjoint representation of U on some generator ta can be written as

Ad(U)ta = Λ(U)abtb

I want to characterize the matrix Λ(U), i. e., I want to see which of its elements are independent. It's known that it belongs to a subspace of SO(N2 - 1), and we can derive some constraints by saying that the adjoint action respects the Lie bracket. Here https://mathoverflow.net/questions/179032/characterising-the-adjoint-representation-of-sun it says that the most general characteristic of the adjoint representation is that it preserves some 3-form, but I can't find the details (I don't really know what am I looking for). Does you guys know some place where I can find details about this kind of characterization of the adjoint representation for compact groups? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Luck0 said:
Let U ∈ SU(N) and {ta} be the set of generators of su(N), a = 1, ..., N2 - 1. The action of the adjoint representation of U on some generator ta can be written as

Ad(U)ta = Λ(U)abtb

I want to characterize the matrix Λ(U), i. e., I want to see which of its elements are independent. It's known that it belongs to a subspace of SO(N2 - 1), and we can derive some constraints by saying that the adjoint action respects the Lie bracket. Here https://mathoverflow.net/questions/179032/characterising-the-adjoint-representation-of-sun it says that the most general characteristic of the adjoint representation is that it preserves some 3-form, but I can't find the details (I don't really know what am I looking for). Does you guys know some place where I can find details about this kind of characterization of the adjoint representation for compact groups? Thanks!
Why do you want to know a matrix with ##O(n^4)## entries and ##O(n^2)## free parameters? The more as you get basically ##SU(n)## again?

fresh_42 said:
Why do you want to know a matrix with ##O(n^4)## entries and ##O(n^2)## free parameters? The more as you get basically ##SU(n)## again?
It turns out that doing my calculations with Λ(U) is way more easy than doing it with U. The only problem is that the difficulty now is identifying the independent components

Luck0 said:
It turns out that doing my calculations with Λ(U) is way more easy than doing it with U. The only problem is that the difficulty now is identifying the independent components
##\operatorname{Ad}\; : \; SU(n) \longrightarrow GL(\mathfrak{su}(n))## is a group homomorphism and ##\operatorname{Ad}(u)## is a regular matrix for any ##u \in SU(n)##, which means all ##n^2-1## columns (or rows) of ##\operatorname{Ad}(u)## are linear independent. ##\operatorname{Ad}## itself isn't linear, so no matrix here.

1. What is the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation is a mathematical concept used to understand the behavior of a group or algebraic structure. It is a way of mapping the elements of the group or structure to linear transformations, allowing us to analyze their properties and relationships.

2. How is the adjoint representation related to the group or structure it represents?

The adjoint representation is a faithful representation, meaning that it preserves the group structure and all of its properties. This means that any operation performed on the elements of the group or structure will also be reflected in the corresponding linear transformations in the adjoint representation.

3. How is the adjoint representation characterized?

The adjoint representation is characterized by a set of matrices that represent the linear transformations of the group or structure. These matrices are usually square and have the same dimensions as the number of elements in the group or structure. They can be calculated using specific formulas and techniques depending on the type of group or structure being represented.

4. What is the significance of the adjoint representation in physics?

In physics, the adjoint representation is often used to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. This is because many physical laws and equations can be written in terms of group or algebraic structures, and the adjoint representation allows us to better understand the behavior of these systems under different transformations.

5. How is the adjoint representation used in practical applications?

The adjoint representation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is often used to study the behavior of symmetries and transformations in physical systems, as well as to analyze the properties of different structures and their interactions. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to understand and classify complex datasets.