Differentiating a trignometric function

In summary, a trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. To differentiate a trigonometric function, you can use the chain rule or the product rule, depending on the specific function. The common derivative formulas for trigonometric functions include sin(x) → cos(x), cos(x) → -sin(x), tan(x) → sec^2(x), csc(x) → -csc(x) cot(x), sec(x) → sec(x) tan(x), and cot(x) → -csc^2(x). Yes, you can differentiate inverse trigonometric functions using the inverse function theorem. To find the slope of a curve at a specific point,
tmt1
So, I have

$$\d{x}{t} = 20 sex^2∂ \d{∂}{t}$$

And the text goes to:

$$ \d{∂}{t} = \frac{1}{20}cos^2 ∂ \d{x}{t}$$

I don't understand where the cos comes from? Is it a trigonometric identity? If so I can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
So, I have

$$\d{x}{t} = 20 sex^2∂ \d{∂}{t}$$

And the text goes to:

$$ \d{∂}{t} = \frac{1}{20}cos^2 ∂ \d{x}{t}$$

I don't understand where the cos comes from? Is it a trigonometric identity? If so I can't find it.

Hi tmt!

By definition:
$$\sec \delta = \frac{1}{\cos\delta}$$

1. What is the definition of a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. Common trigonometric functions include sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions.

2. How do you differentiate a trigonometric function?

To differentiate a trigonometric function, you can use the chain rule or the product rule, depending on the specific function. First, identify the function and its derivative, then apply the appropriate rule to find the derivative of the function.

3. What are the common derivative formulas for trigonometric functions?

The derivative formulas for common trigonometric functions are:

• sin(x) → cos(x)
  • cos(x) → -sin(x)
  • tan(x) → sec^2(x)
  • csc(x) → -csc(x) cot(x)
  • sec(x) → sec(x) tan(x)
  • cot(x) → -csc^2(x)

4. Can you differentiate inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, you can differentiate inverse trigonometric functions using the inverse function theorem. This theorem states that the derivative of an inverse function is equal to the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function.

5. How do you use the derivative of a trigonometric function to find the slope of a curve?

To find the slope of a curve at a specific point, you can evaluate the derivative of the trigonometric function at that point. The resulting value will be the slope of the curve at that point. This can be useful in calculating the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point.