Differentiating Power and Time

In summary, a funny car accelerates from rest to a constant speed in time T with an engine power of P. If the engine power is increased by a differential amount dP, the change in time required for the run can be calculated using the formulas P = Fvcos(Phi) = F dot v and D = 1/2aT^2. However, since the acceleration is not constant, the proper formulas to use are dv = adt and dx = vdt. The acceleration can be found as a function of velocity using F=ma and P=Fv=constant. Phi can be omitted since the car always accelerates in the direction of its speed.
napaul

Homework Statement

A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time T with the engine operating at a constant power P. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount dP, what is the change in the time required for the run? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

Homework Equations

I think its:
P = dW/dT
P = Fvcos(Phi) = F dot v
D = 1/2aT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry this is my first post, please be lenient on me...
Okay, so far I started with

P = dW/dT = F [dot] V

F = (ma)

V = aT

so P = ma(aT)cos(Phi)

P = [mTa^2] cos(Phi)

P = mT[(2d)/T^2]^2 cos(Phi)

P = mT[(4d^2)/T^4] cos(Phi)

P = [4md^2/T^3] cos(Phi)

dP/dT = [8md/3T^2] [-sin(Phi)]

dT = [[3T^2(dP)/8md] [-sin(Phi)]

I know its wrong, but I need some guidance because I'm really confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, napaul! :smile:

napaul said:

Homework Statement

A funny car accelerates from rest through a measured track distance in time T with the engine operating at a constant power P. If the track crew can increase the engine power by a differential amount dP, what is the change in the time required for the run? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

Homework Equations

I think its:
P = dW/dT
P = Fvcos(Phi) = F dot v
D = 1/2aT^2

Your formulas for P are correct.
However, I'm afraid your formula for D is wrong.

napaul said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry this is my first post, please be lenient on me...
Okay, so far I started with

P = dW/dT = F [dot] V

F = (ma)

V = aT

Similarly your formula for V is wrong.

Your formula for D and V only hold when acceleration a is constant, which in this case it is not.

The proper formulas are:
[tex]dv = adt \quad \text{or} \quad v=v_0 + \int_0^t a dt[/tex]
[tex]dx = vdt \quad \text{or} \quad D=\int_0^T v dt[/tex]

You can get "a" as a function of "v" from F=ma and P=Fv=constant.
From there you should solve dv=adt...

Btw, you can leave Phi out of your equations since a car would always accelerate in the direction of its speed.

Related to Differentiating Power and Time

1. How is power different from time in the context of science?

Power and time are two distinct concepts in science that are often used together to describe the behavior of physical systems. Power refers to the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred, while time refers to the duration of an event or process. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly something happens, while time is a measure of when it happens.

2. Can you provide an example of how power and time are related?

One example of how power and time are related is when an object is lifted against gravity. The amount of power required to lift the object depends on its weight and the speed at which it is lifted, while the time it takes to lift the object is also influenced by these factors. A heavier object will require more power and take longer to lift, while a lighter object will require less power and take less time to lift.

3. What is the unit of measurement for power and time?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second (J/s). Time is measured in seconds (s) in the metric system. In some cases, larger or smaller units such as kilowatts (kW) for power and milliseconds (ms) for time may be used depending on the scale of the system being studied.

4. How are power and time calculated in an experiment?

In an experiment, power can be calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. This can be expressed as P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Power can also be calculated by multiplying force by velocity, as power is equal to the product of force and velocity. Time is typically measured using a stopwatch or other timing device.

5. What is the significance of differentiating power and time in science?

Differentiating power and time is important in science because it allows us to understand the relationships between energy, work, and motion. By studying the power and time of various systems, scientists can gain insights into how energy is transferred and transformed, and how objects move and interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.