Differentiating vector dot product

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between ##v \cdot \frac{d \vec v}{dt}## and ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\vec v \cdot \vec v \right)## and concludes that they are equivalent. The conversation also addresses the assertion that if ##\vec v## and ##\frac{d \vec v}{dt}## are orthogonal, then ##v \cdot \frac{d \vec v}{dt} = 0##, providing both a proof and a geometric explanation.
dyn
Hi.
If I have a vector v , say for velocity for example then v.v = v2 and I differentiate wrt t v.v I get 2v.dv/dt but if I differentiate v2 I get 2v dv/dt but v.dv.dt is not the same as v dv/dt so what am I doing wrong ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you say they are not the same? Remember that ##v =\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2}##.

Last edited:
##\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{d}{dt} \sqrt{\vec v \vec v} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\vec v \vec v}} \left(\vec v \frac{d\vec v}{dt} + \frac{d\vec v}{dt} v\right) = \frac{1}{v} \vec v \frac{d \vec v}{dt}##.
The two expressions are the same.

kuruman said:
Why do you say they are not the same? Remember that ##v =\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2}##.
Because for vdv/dt to be zero needs v or dv/dt to be zero but v.dv/dt could be zero if v and dv/dt are orthogonal

dyn said:
Because for vdv/dt to be zero needs v or dv/dt to be zero but v.dv/dt could be zero if v and dv/dt are orthogonal
To paraphrase @mfb,
$$v\frac{dv}{dt} =\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2} \frac{d}{dt}\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2} \\=
\frac{1}{2} \frac{\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2}}{\left( v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2 \right )^{1/2}}\left(2v_x\frac{dv_x}{dt} +2v_y\frac{dv_y}{dt}+2v_z\frac{dv_z}{dt} \right) =\left(v_x\frac{dv_x}{dt} +v_y\frac{dv_y}{dt}+v_z\frac{dv_z}{dt} \right)\\=\vec v \cdot \frac{d \vec v}{dt}$$.
They are the same. Furthermore, the above proof shows that, contrary to your assertion, ##v\frac{dv}{dt} =0## when ##\vec v## and ##\frac{d\vec v}{dt}## are orthogonal.

Likes dyn
If ##\vec v## and ##\frac{d \vec v}{dt}## are orthogonal, then ##\frac{dv}{dt} = 0##. This can be derived from what I posted, but it can also be understood geometrically: An acceleration orthogonal to the velocity does not change the speed.

Likes dyn
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated

1. What is the vector dot product?

The vector dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar as an output. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the vector dot product different from the vector cross product?

The vector dot product and the vector cross product are two different mathematical operations used to manipulate vectors. The main difference between them is that the dot product produces a scalar while the cross product produces a vector. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity between two vectors while the cross product measures the perpendicularity between them.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the vector dot product?

The geometric interpretation of the vector dot product is that it measures the projection of one vector onto another. This means that the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. It can also be interpreted as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

4. How is the vector dot product used in physics?

In physics, the vector dot product is used to calculate work and energy. This is because work and energy are scalar quantities, and the dot product produces a scalar as an output. It is also used in calculating the magnitude of a force acting in a specific direction, as well as in determining the angle between two vectors.

5. Can the vector dot product be negative?

Yes, the vector dot product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the cosine of the angle will be negative, resulting in a negative scalar value for the dot product. This indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.