Differentiation - Chain Rule

In summary, when given the equation ##r^2 = \lambda^2(1 + \frac{m}{2\lambda})^2## and asked to find ##dr^2##, the best approach is to solve for r and then use the chain rule to find ##dr##, which can then be squared to find ##dr^2##. However, the notation ##dr^2## can be interpreted in different ways, so it is important to clarify the context of the problem and what exactly is being asked for.
PhyAmateur
In one physics problem if $$r^2= \lambda^2(1+\frac{m}{2\lambda})^2$$

what is ##dr^2 ?##

Should I find ##dr## starting from ##r= \lambda(1+\frac{m}{2\lambda})## first and then square or find ##dr^2## starting from r^2? I know this is a basic question in differentiation using chain rule but it seems I am stuck over this..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A little more context would be helpful here.

Are you trying to find (dr)2 or dr2. I think there's a difference.

It is written as $$dr^2$$ I was just wondering if I should derive once and then after finding the answer, derive twice.. What do you say?

This notation is ambiguous to me. I can't advise you further without more information about this problem where you found it.

I would interpret ##dr^2## as ##(dr)^2##, not as ##d(r^2)##. The straightforward way is to solve for r, compute ##dr=\frac{dr}{d\lambda}d\lambda##, and then square the result.

It is the same $$dr^2$$ found in the 3 sphere metric for example..

PhyAmateur said:
It is the same $$dr^2$$ found in the 3 sphere metric for example..

##r^2 = λ^2(1 + \frac{m}{λ} + \frac{m^2}{4λ^2}) = λ^2 + mλ + \frac{m^2}{4}##

##r = λ(1 + \frac{m}{2λ}) = λ + \frac{m}{2}##

##\frac{d(r^2)}{dλ} = 2λ + m##

##d(r^2) = (2λ + m)dλ \ \ (A)##

##\frac{dr}{dλ} = 1##

##dr = dλ##

##(dr)^2 = (dλ)^2 \ \ (B)##

A or B, take your pick.

1. What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when a function is composed of two or more functions, and we need to find the derivative of the overall function. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule in differentiation?

To apply the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function of the composite function. Then, find the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function. Finally, multiply these derivatives together to find the derivative of the composite function.

3. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important in calculus because it allows us to find the derivatives of complicated functions. Many real-world problems and applications involve composite functions, and the chain rule allows us to easily find their derivatives. It is also a fundamental rule in calculus and is used in many other derivative rules.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any type of function, as long as it is a composite function. This includes polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. However, it is important to note that the chain rule is not applicable to non-differentiable functions.

5. How is the chain rule related to the product and quotient rules?

The chain rule is related to the product and quotient rules because it is used in their derivations. The product rule and quotient rule are special cases of the chain rule, where the inner function is a constant or a reciprocal function, respectively. This shows the importance of the chain rule in calculus and its relationship to other derivative rules.