Using the Chain Rule for Vector Calculus: A Tutorial

In summary, the conversation was about the importance of setting boundaries in relationships and how it can lead to a healthier dynamic. The speakers discussed the need to communicate clearly and assertively when setting boundaries, as well as the potential consequences of not doing so. They also touched on the idea of compromising and finding a balance between individual needs and the needs of the relationship.
binbagsss
TL;DR Summary
chain rule order of differentiation in the product
This is probably a stupid question, but I have never realised that there's an order things should be done in the chain rule , so for example

## \nabla(\bf{v}.\bf{v})=2\bf{v} (\nabla\cdot \bf{v}) ##

and not

## 2 \bf{v} \cdot \nabla \bf{v} ##

Is there an obvious way to see / think of this from the chain rule, say in 1-D, preferably through looking at the limit definition?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
TL;DR Summary: chain rule order of differentiation in the product

and not
It contains gradient of vector which is a tough object.

binbagsss said:

This is probably a stupid question, but I have never realised that there's an order things should be done in the chain rule , so for example

and not

Is there an obvious way to see / think of this from the chain rule, say in 1-D, preferably through looking at the limit definition?
Thanks
The gradient of a scalar function is a vector. All these identities follow from the definition.

Likes topsquark and DaveE
binbagsss said:

and not

Thanks

Using suffix notation, we can form five vectors from two copies of [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] and a single [itex]\nabla[/itex]: [tex]
\begin{array}{cc}
\nabla (\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v}) & \partial_i(v_jv_j), \\
\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{v} \mathbf{v}) & \partial_j(v_iv_j) , \\
\mathbf{v} \cdot (\nabla \mathbf{v}) & v_j \partial_i v_j, \\
\mathbf{v} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}) & v_i \partial_j v_j, \\
(\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{v} & v_j \partial_j v_i.
\end{array}[/tex] Applying the product rule to the first two we have [tex]
\begin{split}
\nabla (\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v}) &= 2\mathbf{v} \cdot (\nabla \mathbf{v}) \\
\nabla \cdot (\mathbf{v} \mathbf{v}) &= (\mathbf{v} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{v} + \mathbf{v}(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}).\end{split}[/tex] This is about the point at which suffix notation becomes clearer than vector notation.

EDIT: For completeness, we can also form these three using the cross product: [tex]
\begin{array}{cc}
\nabla \times (\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{v}) & \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm}\partial_j(v_lv_m) \\
\mathbf{v} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{v}) & \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm} v_j\partial_l v_m \\
(\mathbf{v} \times \nabla) \times \mathbf{v} & -\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm} v_l\partial_mv_j
\end{array}[/tex] These can, however, be expressed in terms of the previous vectors by use of the identity [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{im}\delta_{jl}.[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and topsquark
@pasmith, what operation is implied in this product: ##\mathbf{v} \mathbf{v}##? (The 2nd of your 5 examples)

Mark44 said:
@pasmith, what operation is implied in this product: ##\mathbf{v} \mathbf{v}##? (The 2nd of your 5 examples)
Tensor product: [itex](\mathbf{v}\mathbf{v})_{ij} = v_i v_j[/itex].

Likes vanhees71 and Mark44

1. What is the chain rule in vector calculus?

The chain rule is a fundamental rule in calculus that is used to find the derivative of a composite function. In vector calculus, the chain rule is used to find the derivative of a vector-valued function with respect to another vector-valued function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in vector calculus?

The chain rule is important in vector calculus because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a composite vector function. This is essential in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where we need to understand how multiple variables are related to each other.

3. How do you use the chain rule in vector calculus?

To use the chain rule in vector calculus, we first identify the composite function and its components. Then, we take the derivative of each component with respect to its respective variable. Finally, we combine the derivatives using the chain rule formula, which involves taking the dot product of the derivative of the outer function with the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule in vector calculus?

Sure, let's say we have a vector-valued function r(t) = (x(t), y(t)) and we want to find the derivative of the magnitude of r(t). We can use the chain rule to find this derivative as follows: |r(t)| = √(x(t)^2 + y(t)^2) = (x(t)^2 + y(t)^2)^1/2. Taking the derivative using the chain rule, we get: d/dt |r(t)| = (x(t)x'(t) + y(t)y'(t)) / (x(t)^2 + y(t)^2)^1/2.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule in vector calculus?

Yes, some common mistakes when using the chain rule in vector calculus include not properly identifying the composite function and its components, not taking the derivative of each component with respect to its respective variable, and not correctly applying the chain rule formula. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.