Differentiation of Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of xtanx, which leads to the formula f(x) = \tan kx \Rightarrow f'(x) = k\sec^2 kx. However, the answer given is \tan x + x\sec^2 x, which prompts a discussion on using the product rule for differentiation of products. The mistake made was not accounting for the variable x in the derivative.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The question is as follows:
Find [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} \; \; \; xtanx \; \; \; dx [/tex]
The standard differential is given in the formula book as
[tex] f(x) = \tan kx \Rightarrow f'(x) = k\sec^2 kx [/tex]
Therefore, I got:
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = x \sec^2 x [/tex]
However, the answer given is
[tex] \tan x + x \sec^2 x [/tex]
I can't see where I've gone wrong, it seems like such a simple differential. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you heard of differentiation of products? Namely,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)g(x)=f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)[/tex]

The [itex] x [/itex] isn't a constant that can be left out when you differentiate. You need to use the product rule on the two terms [itex] x [/itex] and [itex] \tan(x) [/itex]

what the book gave has k as a constant, in your problem x is not a constant. you need to use the product rule.

Oh yes. I release what I've done now. Thank's.

Related to Differentiation of Trig Functions

1. What is the definition of differentiation of trigonometric functions?

Differentiation of trigonometric functions refers to the process of finding the derivative of a trigonometric function, which represents the rate of change of the function at a given point. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and allows us to analyze the behavior of trigonometric functions.

2. What are the basic rules for differentiating trigonometric functions?

The basic rules for differentiating trigonometric functions include the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These rules are used to find the derivative of a function that is a combination of trigonometric functions and other mathematical operations.

3. How do I differentiate trigonometric functions with multiple variables?

When differentiating trigonometric functions with multiple variables, the process is similar to differentiating with one variable. However, each variable is treated as a constant and the derivative is taken with respect to the variable that is being differentiated.

4. Can we differentiate inverse trigonometric functions?

Yes, we can differentiate inverse trigonometric functions using the inverse trigonometric derivatives. These are special formulas that allow us to find the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent.

5. What are some real-life applications of differentiation of trigonometric functions?

Differentiation of trigonometric functions has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze motion, calculate rates of change, optimize functions, and model relationships between variables in various fields of study.