Difficulty following example in Taylor's Classical Mechanics

In summary, the x component of the force F does not do any work in the path from O to Q because it is zero, and the y component of the force does work in the path from Q to P.
cwbullivant
http://i.imgur.com/GP6QorG.jpg

I don't follow the integration in it.

I'm assuming Fx(x,0) and Fy(1,y) are the partial derivatives of F with respect to x and y, respectively, but given that, I can't seem to get my head around the result where the partial with respect to x is Fx = (x, 0) instead of Fx = (0, 2), and similar for y.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are not the partial derivatives , they are the x and y component of the F force. In the straight path from O to Q its only the x component that does work (y component is always perpendicular). In the path from Q to P its only the y component that does work.

The x component in the path from O to Q is zero because the force is F=(y,2x) so the x component is simply y but y=0 along this path. Similarly the y component from Q to P is simply 2x, but x=1 always for this path so the y component is 2.

Related to Difficulty following example in Taylor's Classical Mechanics

What is Taylor's Classical Mechanics?

Taylor's Classical Mechanics is a textbook that covers the principles and equations of classical mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

Why is it difficult to follow examples in Taylor's Classical Mechanics?

The difficulty in following examples in Taylor's Classical Mechanics may vary from person to person, but some common reasons include the complexity of the equations, the need for a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, and the abstract nature of the subject matter.

What can I do to better understand the examples in Taylor's Classical Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of the examples in Taylor's Classical Mechanics, it is helpful to have a solid foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor can also aid in understanding the material.

Are there any resources available to help with understanding Taylor's Classical Mechanics?

Yes, there are many resources available to assist with understanding Taylor's Classical Mechanics. These include online tutorials, study guides, practice problems, and video lectures. Your university or local library may also have additional resources.

How can I apply the principles of Taylor's Classical Mechanics in real life?

The principles of Taylor's Classical Mechanics can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics. For example, understanding the laws of motion can aid in designing structures or predicting the movement of objects in space.