Proof that canonical transformation implies symplectic condition

In summary: Goldstein's Classical Mechanics makes the claim (pages 382 to 383) that given coordinates ##q,p##, Hamiltonian ##H##, and new coordinates ##Q(q,p),P(q,p)##, there exists a transformed Hamiltonian ##K## such that ##\dot Q_i = \frac{\partial K}{ \partial P_i}## and ##\dot P_i = -\frac{\partial K}{Q_i}## if and only if ##MJM^T= J## where ##M## is the Jacobian of ##Q,P## with respect to ##q,p## and ##J = \begin{bmatrix}O&I
Lagrange fanboy
TL;DR Summary
Goldstein's classical mechanics shows the proof that if symplectic condition holds, then the transformation is canonical. The converse was claimed to be true, but I can't derive it.
Goldstein's Classical Mechanics makes the claim (pages 382 to 383) that given coordinates ##q,p##, Hamiltonian ##H##, and new coordinates ##Q(q,p),P(q,p)##, there exists a transformed Hamiltonian ##K## such that ##\dot Q_i = \frac{\partial K}{ \partial P_i}## and ##\dot P_i = -\frac{\partial K}{Q_i}## if and only if ##MJM^T= J## where ##M## is the Jacobian of ##Q,P## with respect to ##q,p## and ##J = \begin{bmatrix}
O&I\\\\
-I&O
\end{bmatrix}##. I understood the book's proof that ##MJM^T= J## implies the existence of such ##K##. However, the proof of the converse was not given and I do not know how to derive it myself.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
A Hamiltonian function is not changed under the canonical transformation independent on time: K=H

Likes topsquark
Lagrange fanboy said:
TL;DR Summary: Goldstein's classical mechanics shows the proof that if symplectic condition holds, then the transformation is canonical. The converse was claimed to be true, but I can't derive it.

Goldstein's Classical Mechanics makes the claim (pages 382 to 383) that given coordinates ##q,p##, Hamiltonian ##H##, and new coordinates ##Q(q,p),P(q,p)##, there exists a transformed Hamiltonian ##K## such that ##\dot Q_i = \frac{\partial K}{ \partial P_i}## and ##\dot P_i = -\frac{\partial K}{Q_i}## if and only if ##MJM^T= J## where ##M## is the Jacobian of ##Q,P## with respect to ##q,p## and ##J = \begin{bmatrix}
O&I\\\\
-I&O
\end{bmatrix}##. I understood the book's proof that ##MJM^T= J## implies the existence of such ##K##. However, the proof of the converse was not given and I do not know how to derive it myself.
This proposition is actually wrong. Indeed, the transformation P=p, Q=2q does not satisfy ##MJM^T= J##. But after this transformation a Hamiltonian system remains a Hamiltonian one with the new Hamiltonian K=2H.
The Hamiltonian formalism is a subtle enough mathematical topic to study it by physics textbooks

Last edited:
wrobel said:
A Hamiltonian function is not changed under the canonical transformation independent on time: K=H
No, usually you have an additional term. The most convenient way is to use a generating function, e.g., ##f(q,Q,t)##. Then the canonical transformation is given as
$$p=\partial_q f, \quad P=-\partial_Q f, \quad H'=H+\partial_t f.$$

Please read the post you are quoting :)

Likes weirdoguy
By the way: Most general definition of a canonical transformation of an extended phase space is as follows.
A transformation
$$(t,x,p)\mapsto(T,X,P)$$ is said to be canonical if
$$dp_i\wedge dx^i-dH\wedge dt=dP_i\wedge dX^i-dK\wedge dT,$$ where
##H=H(t,x,p),\quad K=K(T,X,P).## Such transformations take a Hamiltonian system
$$\frac{dp}{dt}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial x},\quad \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}$$
to a Hamiltonian one
$$\frac{dP}{dT}=-\frac{\partial K}{\partial X},\quad \frac{dX}{dT}=\frac{\partial K}{\partial P}.$$
But the most common type of canonical transformations is a special case of the above:
$$(t,x,p)\mapsto(T,X,P),\quad T=t.\qquad (*)$$
Introduce a notation
$$f=f(t,x,p),\quad \delta f=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}dx^i+\frac{\partial f}{\partial p_i}dp_i.$$
Theorem. A transformation (*) is canonical iff ##\delta P_i\wedge\delta X^i=\delta p_i\wedge\delta x^i.##

Here we assume that independent variables are ##p,x,t## that is
$$P=P(t,x,p),\quad X=X(t,x,p)\qquad (**)$$ and correspondingly ##dx=\delta x,\quad dp=\delta p.##

If the transformation (**) is canonical and ##X=X(x,p),\quad P=P(x,p)## then
$$H(t,x,p)=K(t,X(x,p),P(x,p))$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Excuse the Juvenile comment but the first time I heard my classical mechanics teacher say "Kamiltonian" I struggled to withhold my laughter. I couldn't believe he said it with a straight face.

PhDeezNutz said:
Excuse the Juvenile comment but the first time I heard my classical mechanics teacher say "Kamiltonian" I struggled to withhold my laughter. I couldn't believe he said it with a straight face.
In Russian, the letter H in the word Hamiltonian is pronounced as g in the word gone. Oh, I see for English speakers this Kamiltonian sounds somehow like camel

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a change of variables in a Hamiltonian system that preserves the Hamiltonian equations of motion and the Poisson bracket structure. It is used to simplify the equations of motion and reveal underlying symmetries in a system.

2. How does a canonical transformation imply the symplectic condition?

The symplectic condition is a mathematical condition that ensures the preservation of the symplectic structure of a system under a canonical transformation. This condition states that the Jacobian matrix of the transformation must have a specific form, known as the symplectic matrix, which preserves the symplectic 2-form in the Hamiltonian equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of the symplectic condition in canonical transformations?

The symplectic condition is important because it guarantees that the transformation will preserve the fundamental symplectic structure of a Hamiltonian system, which is essential for the correct description of the system's dynamics. It also ensures that the equations of motion will remain Hamiltonian and that the conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum, will be conserved.

4. Can the symplectic condition be violated in a canonical transformation?

Yes, the symplectic condition can be violated in a canonical transformation. In this case, the transformed equations of motion will not be Hamiltonian, and the conserved quantities will not be conserved. This can lead to incorrect predictions and must be avoided in order to accurately describe the dynamics of a system.

5. Are there any practical applications of canonical transformations and the symplectic condition?

Yes, canonical transformations and the symplectic condition have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics to simplify and analyze complex systems. They are also used in control theory, robotics, and other fields to study the dynamics of physical systems and design efficient control strategies.