Difficulty understanding ∫ P(X).X^2 dx = <X^2> ?

In summary, the expected value of a continuous random variable is the integral of the probability distribution function over the range of the random variable.
Yungphys
I know for discrete random variables Σ P(x).x = <x>

Translating for continuous random variables
I'm also aware of the result ∫ P(x).x dx

In my lecture notes ( I more or less transcribed from what the lecturer said ):
∫ P(x).x^2 dx = <x^2> , should it not be ∫ P(x^2).x^2 dx = <x^2>?

Does P(x^2) even mean anything in relation to P(x) ? I find it difficult to link the two.

EDIT: Touching on the ∫ P(x^2).x^2 dx = <x^2> confusion again, for ∫ P(x^2).x^2 dx = <x^2> would you have to be integrating wrt (x^2) too? Ahh, much confusion.

Could somebody please clear this up for me? Any examples would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Yungphys said:
I know for discrete random variables Σ P(x).x = <x>
What is your definition of the notation <x>? Is it the expected value? If so, the expected value of any function, f(x), of x is defined as E(f) =Σ P(x).f(x). That might clarify your remaining questions
Translating for continuous random variables
I'm also aware of the result ∫ P(x).x dx
= E(X)
In my lecture notes ( I more or less transcribed from what the lecturer said ):
∫ P(x).x^2 dx = <x^2>
If your <x^2> notation means the expected value E( X^2 ), then this is true by the definition of expected value.
, should it not be ∫ P(x^2).x^2 dx = <x^2>?
No. This must be interpreted as ∫P( X = x2) ⋅ x2 dx. Suppose we have a case where the random variable X is always negative. Then P(X=x2) ≡ 0 for any x. So this integral must be zero.

For instance, if P(X=-2) = 1 then obviously the expected value of X2 is 4 since X is always -2. This is E(X2) = 4. Your integral would be zero.

Hey Yungphys.

I think it would help you to think of how to connect the sample mean of [X1 + X2 + ... + Xn]/n to the formula of Sigma p(x)*Xi or Integral p(x)*x*dx and then use a transformation to map the sample mean of [f(X1) + f(X2) + f(X3) + ... + f(Xn))]/n to Sigma*p(x)*f(Xi) or Integral p(x)*x*dx.

This will make it intuitive.

To start off thinking about the sample mean formula for a discrete random variable and re-arrange it in terms of p(Xi) = Count(Xi)/n where Count(Xi) adds up the number of times Xi occurs. That will give you the discrete formula and the integral is found by taking appropriate limits.

Then you can do the same thing for a function of the sample and get the adjusted formula.

Related to Difficulty understanding ∫ P(X).X^2 dx = <X^2> ?

1. What does the notation "∫ P(X)" mean?

The notation "∫ P(X)" is known as the integral symbol and represents the mathematical operation of integration. In this context, P(X) is a function that is being integrated with respect to the variable X.

2. What does the "dx" mean in the integral notation?

The "dx" in the integral notation represents the variable with respect to which the integration is being performed. In this case, we are integrating with respect to X, so the "dx" indicates that the function P(X) is being integrated with respect to X.

3. What does the "X^2" mean in the integral notation?

The "X^2" in the integral notation represents the term being integrated. In this case, we are integrating the function P(X) multiplied by X^2, which means we are finding the area under the curve of the function P(X) multiplied by X^2.

4. What does the mean on the right side of the equation?

The on the right side of the equation represents the expected value of X^2. In other words, it is the average value of X^2 over all possible values of X.

5. How do you interpret the entire equation "∫ P(X).X^2 dx = "?

This equation represents the relationship between the integral of a function P(X) multiplied by X^2 and the expected value of X^2. It is often used in probability and statistics to calculate the expected value of a random variable X. Essentially, the equation is saying that the integral of P(X) multiplied by X^2 is equal to the expected value of X^2.