Find P(X+Y>1/2) for given joint density function

In summary, the joint density is as follows: $$f_{XY}(x,y) = \frac{1}{y}, &0<x<y,0<y<1 \\ 0, &else \end{cases}$$The joint density is found to be equal to the following:$$f_{XY}(x,y) = \frac{1}{y}, &0<x<y,0<y<1 \\ 0, &else \end{cases}$$This is represented by a plot, in which the red dots indicate the point at which the function is equal to 0. The two sub-areas correspond to the two cases
Peter_Newman
Hey everybody, :smile:

I have a joint density of the random variables ##X## and ##Y## given and want to find out ##P(X+Y>1/2)##.

The joint density is as follows:

$$f_{XY}(x,y) = \begin{cases}\frac{1}{y}, &0<x<y,0<y<1 \\ 0, &else \end{cases}$$

To get a view of this I created a plot:

Areas2.PNG

As usual I would split the area up into two sub areas (see red dots) and doube integrate this. In this case for instance my calculation is the following:

$$P(X+Y>1/2) = P(Y>1/2 - X) = \int_{y=0.5}^{1} \int_{x=0}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx dy + \int_{0.25}^{0.5} \int_{x=0.5-y}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx dy \approx 0.5 + 0.1534 \approx 0.6534$$

The solution should be ##P(X+Y>1/2) = \frac{\ln(2)}{2}##, which I can not explain, that why I'am asking here. I think in my integral there could be a mistake, but I don't see the error...

I would be very happy for answers to this! Thank you! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct, as far as you've gone.
I suggest you write out the remainder of the steps you took to reach your numeric answer, doing first the inner and then the outer integrals and finally inserting the outer integration limits to obtain a closed formula for the result.
Advisors will then be able to spot any errors in your working.

Hello, thank you for the answer.

I will gladly comply with the request and show here my exact calculation path for the double integral:

$$\int_{y=0.5}^{1} \int_{x=0}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx dy + \int_{0.25}^{0.5} \int_{x=0.5-y}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx dy$$

$$= \int_{0.5}^{1} \left(\int_{0}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx\right) \, dy + \int_{0.25}^{0.5} \left(\int_{x=0.5-y}^{y} \frac{1}{y} \, dx \right) \, dy $$

$$= \int_{0.5}^{1} \left( 1\right) \, dy + \int_{0.25}^{0.5} \left(2-\frac{0.5}{y} \right) \, dy $$
$$= 0.5 + 0.153426$$

But this equals not the "original solution" ##P(X+Y>1/2) = \frac{\ln(2)}{2}##...

Last edited:
I get 1 - log(2)/2, which is approx 0.653. So my calc agrees with yours. Maybe the book has the wrong answer. It happens.

Last edited:
Hello,

thank you for your reply and confirmation of the calculation. And my integral limits are not set wrong?

I think that assuming there is an error in the book, it comes from the fact that the authors have calculated ##P(X+Y<1/2)##, which would be the small triangle that arises when you draw the diagonal to 0. This would be, so to speak, the "white triangle" from the diagonal to the colored area (0 to 0.5 on y-axis and 0.25 x-axis (but integral limits are different here...)...

1. What is a joint density function?

A joint density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of two or more random variables. It specifies the probability of each possible combination of values for the variables.

2. How do you find P(X+Y>1/2) for a given joint density function?

To find P(X+Y>1/2), you first need to integrate the joint density function over the region where X+Y>1/2. This will give you the probability of the event X+Y>1/2 occurring.

3. Can you provide an example of finding P(X+Y>1/2) for a given joint density function?

For example, if the joint density function is f(x,y) = 2x + 3y for 01/2) would be equal to the integral of f(x,y) over the region where X+Y>1/2, which in this case would be the integral of 2x + 3y over the triangle with vertices (1/2,0), (0,1/2), and (0,1).

4. What is the significance of finding P(X+Y>1/2) for a given joint density function?

Finding P(X+Y>1/2) for a given joint density function allows us to calculate the probability of a specific event occurring, which can be useful in many applications such as risk assessment, decision making, and modeling complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a joint density function to find P(X+Y>1/2)?

Yes, there are limitations to using a joint density function to find P(X+Y>1/2). One limitation is that the joint density function assumes that the variables are continuous and independent, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the joint density function may not be defined for all values of the variables, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated probability.