Difficulty with band type brake

In summary, the problem involves finding the brake torque and necessary force to stop a drum, with a given maximum pressure of 0.7MPa and friction coefficient of 0.2. The equations used include T=(P1-P2)D/2, p=2P/bD, dP-fdN=0, and dN=Pdθ. The solution involves using p=2P/bD and rearranging it to find F=8.68N, but there is uncertainty about the value of dθ. Some information may be missing, but it seems that the problem is meant to be solved using the given geometry and neglecting any lifting of the band.
torrgud

Homework Statement

[/B]
What is the brake torque and the needed force to stop the drum.
Photo of problem: https://gyazo.com/5c814dc6791b29362cc2835dacf7005a
5c814dc6791b29362cc2835dacf7005a.png

Data not on photo: Max pressure is 0.7MPa and friction coefficient is 0.2.

Homework Equations

T=(P1-P2)D/2
p=2P/bD
dP-fdN=0
dN=Pdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I've been able to do is use p=2P/bD and rearange it to get F=8.68N
I am unsure of what dθ is supposed to be since the band lifts up on a portion of the drum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a textbook problem, and I suspect that the intent is that you use the given geometry, neglecting any lifting of the band.

There seems to be some information missing? Any braking force will eventually stop the drum if it's not being driven.

CWatters said:
There seems to be some information missing? Any braking force will eventually stop the drum if it's not being driven.

This was all the data I was given in the problem. There might be some eqations I forgot but the data is all there, at least what the teacher put.

1. What is a band type brake?

A band type brake is a type of brake system commonly used in vehicles, bicycles, and other machinery. It consists of a band or strap that is wrapped around a rotating drum or wheel, and when the band is tightened, it creates friction to slow down or stop the rotation of the wheel.

2. Why am I experiencing difficulty with my band type brake?

There could be several reasons for difficulty with a band type brake. It could be due to worn brake pads, loose cables, or a misaligned brake mechanism. It is also possible that the band itself has worn down and needs to be replaced. It is important to have a professional inspect and repair any issues with your band type brake to ensure safe operation.

3. How often should I have my band type brake checked?

It is recommended to have your band type brake checked at least once a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, if you notice any issues with your brake performance, it is important to have it checked by a professional immediately.

4. Can I replace my band type brake myself?

While it is possible to replace a band type brake yourself, it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in brake systems. It is important to have a professional properly install and adjust the brake to ensure safe and effective operation.

5. How can I improve the performance of my band type brake?

To improve the performance of your band type brake, you can regularly clean and lubricate the brake mechanism to ensure smooth operation. It is also important to regularly check and adjust the brake cable tension and replace worn brake pads as needed.

Back