Diffie Hellman Key Exchange Algorithm? (x,y value)

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm and the importance of using random values for x and y. It is suggested to refer to a reliable resource for a better understanding of the algorithm. To prove that the results were not a fluke, it is necessary to show that certain equations are equivalent.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
What should be the value of x and y in Diffie Hellman Key Exchange Algorithm?
Relevant Equations
Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange Algorithm
I'm not asking it from "will it be secure" point of view, rather I'm asking textbook kind technically correct or not.

This is the algorithm (in the 3rd step of right figure, it should be generate y, typo)
4G10LfaUD3Aqvtq8qGaDEdc-QKSOH1G7MI7iKtKn_Mwp14BRgQ.png

I took p=23,g=5.
And picked x=4,y=5
I got the secret key as 12 and both got 12, so it looks like the algorithm worked. But were there any restrictions and if this was a fluke?

What I'm aware?
x,y should be random. And x,y range from 1 to p.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm?

The Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm is a method used for securely exchanging cryptographic keys over a public channel. It allows two parties to establish a shared secret key without ever having to share their private keys.

2. How does the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm work?

The Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm works by using a mathematical function that takes in two inputs (a base number and a prime number) to generate a shared secret key. This key is then used for symmetric encryption, allowing the two parties to communicate securely.

3. What are the x and y values in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm?

The x and y values in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm are the public keys generated by each party. These values are used in the mathematical function to generate the shared secret key.

4. How are the x and y values kept secret in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm?

The x and y values are kept secret in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm by using modular arithmetic. This ensures that even if an attacker intercepts the public keys, they cannot determine the private keys or the shared secret key.

5. Is the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm secure?

Yes, the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm is considered secure as long as certain criteria are met, such as using large prime numbers and a secure base number. However, it has been found to be vulnerable to certain attacks, so it is important to use it in conjunction with other security measures.