Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a diffraction barrier with 4200 openings per 1cm and a screen placed 2.00m away. The problem involves finding the value of m for a certain class, where the maximums corresponding to two different wavelengths (589.00nm and 589.6nm) are 1.54mm apart. The conversation includes equations for solving the problem, and the answer provided in the book is incorrect. The correct answer is found to be m = 3.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

A Diffraction Barrier has 4200 openings per 1cm. A screen stands 2.00 m opposite of the Barrier. Say that for a certain class m, the maximums that correspond with two different wavelengths (589.00 nm & 589.6 nm) abstain from each other by 1.54 mm. What is the value of m?

Homework Equations

tanθ = y/L
sinθ = m*λ/d

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, we have:

λ1 = 589.0 nm
λ2 = 589.6 nm

λ2 > λ1 => y2 > y1 => D = 1.54 mm = y2 - y1

tanθ ~ sinθ [θ is a small angle)

Also, d = 1 cm/4200 = 2.38 * 10-4m

So:

D = L*m*(λ2 - λ1)/d <=> m = d*D/(λ2 - λ1)*L <=> ... <=> m = 3

My problem is that the naswer the book gives is m = 2. I run the numbers many times, and I always get 3. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem in the math or the logic?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find 3 just like you do. Looks as if book answer is wrong.

BvU said:
I find 3 just like you do. Looks as if book answer is wrong.
It's been wrong before, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot for the input!

1. What is the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum?

The Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum is a concept in physics that refers to the maximum resolution attainable in optical microscopy. It is a theoretical limit that is determined by the wavelength of light and the numerical aperture of the lens system.

2. How does the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum affect microscopy?

The Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum sets a limit on the smallest features that can be resolved in an optical microscope. This means that even with a perfect lens system and ideal conditions, there will always be a limit to the level of detail that can be observed.

3. How is the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum calculated?

The Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum is calculated using the Abbe equation, which takes into account the wavelength of light used and the numerical aperture of the lens. The smaller the wavelength and the larger the numerical aperture, the smaller the diffraction barrier will be.

4. Can the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum be overcome?

Currently, there is no way to completely overcome the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum in optical microscopy. However, there are techniques such as super-resolution microscopy that can help to bypass this limit and achieve higher resolution images.

5. How does the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum differ from the Rayleigh Criterion?

The Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum and the Rayleigh Criterion are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. The Rayleigh Criterion is a measure of the minimum distance between two point sources of light that can be resolved by a microscope, while the Diffraction Barrier-Class of Maximum is a theoretical limit that takes into account the entire optical system.