Rayleigh criterion (two wavelengths) + diffraction grating

In summary, to resolve the light from a source with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm, a grating must be illuminated with a beam with a minimum number of slits of λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm.
velkyr

Homework Statement

"A source emits light with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm. Using the Rayleigh criterion, find the minimum number of slits of a grating that must be illuminated by a beam from the source in order to resolve these components."

Homework Equations

[itex]\theta = \frac{1.22\lambda}{D}[/itex]

[itex]m\lambda = dsin\theta[/itex]

[itex]R = \frac{\Delta\lambda}{\lambda} = mN[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I substituted in λ1 and λ2 into Rayleigh and assumed they would have an equal aperture diameter, giving an equation that looks like [itex]\frac{1.22\lambda_1}{\theta_1} = \frac{1.22\lambda_2}{\theta_2}[/itex]. Of course this left two unknown values of θ. So, I then attempted to use the resolving power formula using the two wavelengths. I calculated R to be 1276.25. However, not knowing the order of light being received, I couldn't then use this to calculate N.

My current thinking is to assume m = 1 and use the diffraction maximum condition to find values for θ in each case. However if I were to then use those angles in Rayleigh to calculate D, I'm not sure what relevance the aperture diameter actually has to finding the number of slits... I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction because I'm running out of ideas. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
##R = \frac{\Delta\lambda}{\lambda} = mN##
It should be ##R = \frac{\lambda}{\Delta\lambda} = mN##. Use this equation to find ##N## with ##m=1## (as this order contains the brightest light aside from the zeroth order).

blue_leaf77 said:
It should be ##R = \frac{\lambda}{\Delta\lambda} = mN##. Use this equation to find ##N## with ##m=1## (as this order contains the brightest light aside from the zeroth order).
Oops sorry... I do have the equation written down the right way around, I just mistyped it.

Is it simply just a matter of finding N for each wavelength and taking the largest answer, then? It almost feels too simple after all the time I've spent thinking about it.

velkyr said:
Oops sorry... I do have the equation written down the right way around, I just mistyped it.

Is it simply just a matter of finding N for each wavelength and taking the largest answer, then? It almost feels too simple after all the time I've spent thinking about it.
You are using this equation once. ##\lambda## can be taken as the average between the two wavelengths. It only works if the two wavelengths are very close though, which is true in this case. It becomes simple because you already have the right equation.

blue_leaf77 said:
You are using this equation once. ##\lambda## can be taken as the average between the two wavelengths. It only works if the two wavelengths are very close though, which is true in this case. It becomes simple because you already have the right equation.
I see. Thank you very much, I think I've got the right answer now (1277 is the minimum). :)

What is the Rayleigh criterion for two wavelengths in relation to diffraction gratings?

The Rayleigh criterion, also known as the Rayleigh limit, refers to the minimum distance between two sources of light that can be resolved by a diffraction grating. In other words, it is the smallest angular separation between two wavelengths that can still be distinguished by the grating.

How is the Rayleigh criterion calculated?

The Rayleigh criterion is calculated using the formula θ = sin^-1 (λ/d), where θ is the angular separation between the two wavelengths, λ is the wavelength of light and d is the distance between the grating lines.

What happens if the distance between the two wavelengths is smaller than the Rayleigh criterion?

If the distance between the two wavelengths is smaller than the Rayleigh criterion, they will not be resolved by the diffraction grating. Instead, they will appear as a single blurred image.

Can the Rayleigh criterion be improved upon?

Yes, the Rayleigh criterion can be improved upon by using a diffraction grating with a higher number of lines per unit length. This will decrease the distance between the grating lines, allowing for more precise resolution.

How is the Rayleigh criterion used in practical applications?

The Rayleigh criterion is used in various fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and spectroscopy, where precise measurement of wavelengths is required. It is also used in the design and optimization of diffraction gratings for these applications.