Diffusion and convection in a moving fluid

In summary, when dealing with a fluid moving at constant velocity V, the concentration will undergo diffusion and convection. In situations where the fluid streamlines are moving at different velocities, the diffusion may depend on the speed of the fluid, but the diffusivity remains constant. In order to properly express the heat or mass balance in this situation, terms related to diffusion and convection must be included in the PDE. Mixing enhances the diffusion rate by changing the temperature and concentration gradients. The change in concentration gradient caused by velocity is represented by the convection term in the PDE, which takes into account the velocity and the gradient in each direction.
fahraynk
In a fluid moving at constant velocity V, a concentration will undergo diffusion and convection

$$U_t=\alpha^2 U_{xx}+VU_x$$

I understand that in this situation you can transform to a moving coordinate system and the convection term will disappear and you can solve for diffusion alone and transform back.

My question is for a situation where the fluid streamlines are moving at different velocities. In this situation doesn't the diffusion depend on the speed of the fluid... So will alpha^2 be a function of velocity?
Alpha^2 is The diffusivity, if heat it would be thermal conductivity/(heat capacity * density)

If it is a function of velocity... how do I determine it? If not... what is the other term other than diffusion and convection that I put into the PDE?

An example of this situation would be couette flow, fluid flow between 2 moving plates infinite in x direction finite in Y.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diffusivity does not change with velocity. But even in uniform flow, you have omitted terms in the transient balance: $$U_t+VU_x=\kappa(U_{xx}+U_{yy}+U_{zz})$$You can have heat or mass diffusing normal to the streamlines. In the example of couette flow, the main heat flow is normal to the steamlines. And, for couette flow, you need to properly express the heat balance in cylindrical coordinates:
$$U_t+\frac{v_{\theta}(r)}{r}U_{\theta}=\kappa\left(\frac{1}{r}(rU_r)_r+\frac{1}{r^2}U_{\theta \theta}\right)$$

Likes BvU
Chestermiller said:
The diffusivity does not change with velocity. But even in uniform flow, you have omitted terms in the transient balance: $$U_t+VU_x=\kappa(U_{xx}+U_{yy}+U_{zz})$$You can have heat or mass diffusing normal to the streamlines. In the example of couette flow, the main heat flow is normal to the steamlines. And, for couette flow, you need to properly express the heat balance in cylindrical coordinates:
$$U_t+\frac{v_{\theta}(r)}{r}U_{\theta}=\kappa\left(\frac{1}{r}(rU_r)_r+\frac{1}{r^2}U_{\theta \theta}\right)$$

Thank you for your help.

So, absent of viscous dissipation when talking about heat... so say a mass is diffusing... Velocity has nothing to do with it? (say flat plate 2d couette flow with only velocity in x direction but plates infinite in x direction so convection should not matter since no velocity in y direction)

This would mean that stirring a glass of chocolate milk would have nothing to do with stirring the chocolate milk, so you might as well just stab the chocolate powder with a knife to have same affect? (Bc all the mixing would come from moving the particles randomly and the speed of the rotating milk would have no added bonus)

fahraynk said:
Thank you for your help.

So, absent of viscous dissipation when talking about heat... so say a mass is diffusing... Velocity has nothing to do with it? (say flat plate 2d couette flow with only velocity in x direction but plates infinite in x direction so convection should not matter since no velocity in y direction)

This would mean that stirring a glass of chocolate milk would have nothing to do with stirring the chocolate milk, so you might as well just stab the chocolate powder with a knife to have same affect? (Bc all the mixing would come from moving the particles randomly and the speed of the rotating milk would have no added bonus)
What mixing does is change (increases) the temperature gradients and the concentration gradients. This enhances the diffusion rate. If you have axial flow in a tube with an axial velocity that varies radially, the flow affects the temperature or concentration gradient in the radial direction, which enhances the radial diffusion rate.

Chestermiller said:
What mixing does is change (increases) the temperature gradients and the concentration gradients. This enhances the diffusion rate. If you have axial flow in a tube with an axial velocity that varies radially, the flow affects the temperature or concentration gradient in the radial direction, which enhances the radial diffusion rate.

Okay... so where I am lost is... how is the change in concentration gradient caused by velocity represented in the PDE? Or is it represented by the k∇^2U term? (Also I know its wrong coordinate system but my intuition is better in Cartesian).

I was thinking it can't be represented by k∇^2U BC it represents the average between 2 instantaneous points? But Maybe this is where I am mistakern

fahraynk said:
Okay... so where I am lost is... how is the change in concentration gradient caused by velocity represented in the PDE? Or is it represented by the k∇^2U term? (Also I know its wrong coordinate system but my intuition is better in Cartesian).

I was thinking it can't be represented by k∇^2U BC it represents the average between 2 instantaneous points? But Maybe this is where I am mistakern
Suppose the diffusion were suddenly shut off, but there were temperature or concentration variations already in the fluid and the flow velocity where one of shearing (like flow in a pipe). Would the advection flow not cause the temperature gradients to change?

Likes fahraynk
Chestermiller said:
Suppose the diffusion were suddenly shut off, but there were temperature or concentration variations already in the fluid and the flow velocity where one of shearing (like flow in a pipe). Would the advection flow not cause the temperature gradients to change?
AH! Thanks for your patience. I was being stupid. Convection is the velocity times the gradient and its in every direction where the gradient is strongest it will send mass in that direction.

so, if the velocity has an x and y component, than
$$U_t=-V*[U_x+U_y+U_z]$$
I thought convection just carried the mass down in 1 direction at a speed V because I was studying method of characteristics for uniform flow. I did not realize. thanks

1. What is diffusion and convection in a moving fluid?

Diffusion and convection in a moving fluid are two processes that describe the movement of particles in a fluid. Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid.

2. How do diffusion and convection affect the movement of fluids?

Diffusion and convection play a crucial role in the movement of fluids. Diffusion helps to even out concentrations of particles, while convection helps to transfer heat and energy within the fluid. Both processes work together to create currents and circulation within the fluid.

3. What factors affect the rate of diffusion and convection in a moving fluid?

The rate of diffusion and convection is influenced by several factors, including the temperature of the fluid, the size and shape of particles, and the viscosity of the fluid. Other factors such as pressure and concentration gradients can also impact the rate of these processes.

4. How can diffusion and convection be observed in real-life situations?

Diffusion and convection can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as the movement of heat in the Earth's atmosphere, the circulation of ocean currents, and the exchange of gases in the human body. These processes can also be studied and replicated in laboratory experiments.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding diffusion and convection in a moving fluid?

Understanding diffusion and convection in a moving fluid has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science. For example, it can help in designing more efficient heat exchangers, predicting weather patterns, and developing drug delivery systems in the human body.