Digit sum rule for the divisibility by 9

In summary: Yes, divisibility by $m$. Then how can we get from this result the digit sum rule for the divisibility of a natural number by $9$, if we consider the case $0\leq a_0, a_1, \ldots , a_k<10$ ?The digit sum rule for the divisibility of a natural number by $9$ is that if the number is evenly divisible by $9$, the sum of its digits is a multiple of 9.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $n\in \mathbb{N}$, $2\leq m\in \mathbb{N}$ and $a\in \mathbb{Z}$.

I want to show that $a\left (m+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a$.

I have done the following:
\begin{equation*}a\left (m+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\left (0+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\cdot 1^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\end{equation*}

Is this correct? Or do we need more details at each step? (Wondering)

After that, using the above, I want to show that \begin{equation*}\forall a_0, a_1, \ldots ,a_k\in \mathbb{Z} : \ \sum_{i=0}^ka_i10^i\overset{(9)}{\equiv}\sum_{i=0}^ka_i\end{equation*} Considering the previous result for the case $m=9$ we get:
$a(9+1)^n\overset{(9)}{\equiv}a \Rightarrow a\cdot 10^n\overset{(9)}{\equiv}a$ for $n\in \mathbb{N}$.

Let $a_0, a_1, \ldots ,a_k\in \mathbb{Z}$.

It holds the following:
\begin{equation*}\sum_{i=0}^ka_i10^i\overset{(9)}{\equiv}\sum_{i=0}^ka_i\end{equation*}
Right? (Wondering) Then how can we get from this result the digit sum rule for the divisibility of a natural number by $9$, if we consider the case $0\leq a_0, a_1, \ldots , a_k<10$ ? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your last step is correct because every [tex]a_i[/tex] is less than 10 and 10= 9+ 1. So [tex]a_i(10)= a_i(9+ 1)= a_i[/tex] modulo 9. The answer to your last question follows immediately from that equation: since [tex]\sum a_i 10^i= \sum a_i[/tex], modulo 9, the left side is evenly divisible by 9 if and only if the right side is: if and only if the sum of digits is a multiple of 9.

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $n\in \mathbb{N}$, $2\leq m\in \mathbb{N}$ and $a\in \mathbb{Z}$.

I want to show that $a\left (m+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a$.

I have done the following:
\begin{equation*}a\left (m+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\left (0+1\right )^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\cdot 1^n \overset{(9)}{\equiv} a\end{equation*}

Is this correct? Or do we need more details at each step?

Hey mathmari!

It doesn't look correct to me. (Worried)

Suppose we pick $a=3,\,m=2,\,n=1$, then we would get $3(2+1)^1=9\overset{(9)}{\equiv} 3$, but this is not true is it?

Did you perhaps mean divisibility by $m$? (Wondering)

What is the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9?

The Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9 states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 9, then the number itself is also divisible by 9.

How do you apply the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9?

To apply the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9, simply add up all the digits of the number and check if the sum is divisible by 9. If it is, then the number is also divisible by 9.

Why does the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9 work?

This rule works because when a number is divided by 9, the remainder is equal to the sum of its digits. So if the sum of the digits is divisible by 9, then the remainder is also divisible by 9, making the original number divisible by 9.

What are some examples of using the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9?

For example, let's take the number 234. The sum of its digits is 2+3+4=9, which is divisible by 9. Therefore, we can conclude that 234 is also divisible by 9. Another example is the number 1,458. The sum of its digits is 1+4+5+8=18, which is also divisible by 9, making 1,458 divisible by 9.

Can the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9 be applied to larger numbers?

Yes, the Digit Sum Rule for the Divisibility by 9 can be applied to larger numbers as well. The only difference is that you would need to continue adding the digits until you get a single digit number, which will then be divisible by 9. For example, for the number 8,763, the sum of its digits is 8+7+6+3=24, then 2+4=6, which is divisible by 9, making 8,763 divisible by 9.