Digital Watt Meter Connected To Microcontroller

In summary: Thanks again for your help!In summary, Mickey is working on a project to create an educational light bulb display. The display will demonstrate the cost effectiveness of different types of bulbs. Mickey needs to find a way to use the information from a digital watt meter to display the answer on an LCD screen.
MickeyB@++
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project for a client in which my objective is to create an educational light bulb display. The purpose of this display is to demonstrate cost effectiveness between 4 different bulbs (incandescent, high-efficiency incandescent, CFC, and LED). Each lightbulb will be connected to a respective rocker to turn it on or off. Furthermore, each lightbulb has been tied to a single digital watt meter so that as you switch on a rocker, the amount of watts actively being emitted are displayed.

The next step is my challenge. What I am trying to accomplish is have a separate LCD screen that will display the costs incurred for using the individual bulb chosen at $0.15/kWh at 3.2 hrs (the average price and time bulbs are used in NY state). Ultimately, I need to figure out a way to use the information that the digital watt meter reads and have it interact with a formula (Cost=(kWh)($0.15)) coded into a micro-controller and display the answer on the LCD screen.

With that being said, is this the correct approach? It is to my understanding that a micro controller must be connected to the LCD screen to display any copy, but is it possible to use the reading from the digital watt meter and input that information into a formula that is coded into a micro controller? and if so, which micro controller and LCD screen combination is required?

*Please note model number for digital watt meter that I have is DS4-B-W

Thank you,
Mickey

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the response! Yes, if there is a consumer product that will do what I am trying to accomplish then I will happily use it.

I did a bit of research on this product, it certainly displays exactly what I want but can it be exclusively connected to my 4 light bulbs on rockers?

Yes. It is intended to be installed at an electrical panel, but there is no reason you can't mount it directly on your device board.

One minor limitation is that the display precision is probably too low for single lamps. But you can get around that by multiplying the energy cost by 10 and calling it a 1/10th scale model.

I find your project to be very interesting and relevant in today's world where energy efficiency is becoming increasingly important. It seems like you have a good understanding of the components and their functions in your project, and your approach seems to be correct. Using a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller is a practical and efficient way to measure and display the energy usage of each light bulb.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to use the reading from the digital watt meter and input it into a formula coded into a microcontroller. This is a common practice in many projects involving data collection and analysis. The type of microcontroller and LCD screen needed would depend on the specific requirements and capabilities of your project. It would be best to consult with a microcontroller expert or do some research to determine the best combination for your project.

In addition, I would suggest considering the accuracy and precision of your measurements and calculations. It is important to ensure that your instruments are calibrated and your calculations are accurate to provide reliable data for your project.

Overall, I think your project has great potential and I wish you success in your endeavor. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller?

A digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller is an electronic device that measures and displays the amount of power (watts) consumed by a circuit or electrical device. It is connected to a microcontroller, which allows for data processing and communication with other devices.

2. How does a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller work?

The digital watt meter uses current and voltage sensors to measure the flow of electricity in a circuit. The microcontroller then uses this data to calculate the power consumption and displays it on a screen.

3. What are the benefits of using a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller?

One of the main benefits is the ability to accurately measure power consumption in real-time. It also allows for remote monitoring and control of electrical devices, as well as data logging for analysis and energy efficiency improvements.

4. Can a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, some digital watt meters are designed to work with both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to check the specifications of the specific meter to ensure it is suitable for the type of circuit you are measuring.

5. Are there any limitations to using a digital watt meter connected to a microcontroller?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by external factors such as electromagnetic interference. Additionally, the maximum voltage and current ratings of the meter should be considered to ensure it can handle the load of the circuit being measured.