Dimensionless Units: SI Reform for Clarity & Precision

In summary, Nature's editorial argues that the SI system needs to be reformed in order to avoid confusion. The author believes that the meter and other SI units are too large or too small for many purposes, and that tying them to a quadrant of the Earth's circumference was a nifty idea but who measures on such grand scales for ordinary, everyday dimensions?
DrClaude
Mentor
The topic has been discussed before at PF, in particular @haruspex's Insight Can angles be assigned a dimension?

Nature has now published an editorial on the subject: SI units need reform to avoid confusion
Nature said:
For example, radians could be made a new SI unit, and the unit 1 could be formally coupled with notation that includes the type of quantity that it represents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see...
The length ##l## (in meters) of an arc of angle ##a## (in radians) and radius ##d## (in meters) would then be:
## l (meters) = d (meters) \times a (radians) \times (1/radians) ## with the ##(1/radian)## being the conversion factor from angle to circumference.
The sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle would still be unitless values, since they are ultimately ratios. But they would need to operate on only radian values. So ##\sin(\sin(x))## would be meaningless - you would need to provide a radian conversion value - presumably one evident from the application.

Sounds like a potentially useful discipline. But not one that I am going to adopt any time soon.

This sounds to me like somebody with way too much time on their hands. Why meddle with something that works just fine as it is? I fail to see any problem with the present situation.

Specifically regarding SI, I do see room for improvement there. The meter is a bit to large for many dimensional measurements while way too small for many others (yes, I now about powers of 10 and all that). The Newton is too small for many purposes. We see the problem really come to light in derived units like pressure or stress; 1 Pa = 1 N/m^2 is really, really small, so once again, we are back to megaunits, or bastard units like 1 bar = 10^5 Pa.

The philosophical origins of the meter and other SI units may have an appeal, but the results are not very handy. Tying the meter to a quadrant of the Earth's circumference was a nifty idea, but who measures on such grand scales for ordinary, everyday dimensions? A foot or an inch are not so grand, but they do approximate the lengths of thing we see every day.

I have no illusions that anyone would dare to challenge anything so well established as the SI system, but it is still horribly unhandy.

What are dimensionless units?

Dimensionless units are units of measurement that do not have a physical dimension, such as length or time. They are used to quantify ratios, percentages, and other dimensionless quantities.

Why is there a need for SI reform for clarity and precision?

The current International System of Units (SI) can be confusing and ambiguous, leading to errors and misunderstandings in scientific research and communication. By reforming the SI system to clarify and standardize dimensionless units, scientists can improve the accuracy and reliability of their work.

What are the proposed changes for dimensionless units in the SI system?

The proposed changes include defining dimensionless units as base units in the SI system, assigning them unique symbols, and establishing clear rules for their use in mathematical expressions and equations.

How will the reform of dimensionless units affect scientific research?

The reform of dimensionless units will improve the precision and consistency of scientific research by providing a standardized and unambiguous way to express dimensionless quantities. This will also make it easier for scientists to compare and replicate each other's work.

What is the timeline for implementing the SI reform for dimensionless units?

The SI reform for dimensionless units was officially adopted in November 2018 and is set to be implemented in May 2019. However, it may take some time for scientists and institutions to fully adopt and implement the changes.