Diodes limiting circuit question?

In summary: However, in summary, the curve has two breaking points, one at each end of zone b, and current flows through R=5K at 4mA approx.
Questions999
I posted this exercise given as homework in the wrong section and it got deleted.Nevertheless,I asked my teacher to solve it and so did he.Thing is I still have some unclear stuff.Please ,a crucial part of the exercise is the part b,so please pay attention to it.

Homework Statement

We have the limiting circuit with diodes.The diodes have Rf=20 Ohm, Rr=infinity.Vγ=0.
a) Build the transfering characteristics.
b) Make a full explanation for every characteristic zone ( The state of the diodes,the values of the tensions in the entrance and in the exit,etc)
c) Replace the diode D2 with the resistance R.Build the transfering characteristic in this case.Compare with the previous result.
d) Change the Rf parameter of the diode to create only one breaking point.(So to pass from the characteristic of the point A to the characteristic of point C)
http://i.imgur.com/cixtsbM.jpg

Homework Equations

There arent any equations in this type of exercise.Its more logical.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)So first we have zone a with a horizontal line at Y=20 V which stops at approx X=20 V.The next zone slopes up at an intermediate rate till just above 20 V.The next zone is c which slopes up at a faster rate, almost X = Y. There are 2 breakpoints, one at each end of zone b.

I get zone a,but how about zone b and c? How does one determine those? I have studied many V0 and Vi graphs but we don't do them immediately,we first have to find point b).

b) For zone a, Vin is below 20V, so D1 is not conducting and D2 is conducting. Current flows through R=5K at 4mA approx. so there is ~ 80mV drop in the Rf of D2 so the actual voltage is 20V-80mV.
I get this,the output voltage is 20V-80mV so approx 20 V,hence the horizontal line (zone a)

For zone b, once Vin reaches 20V-80mV D1 starts to conduct. There is current in both diodes because of the Rf value of 20 ohms, so for the Vin range between 20V - 80mV and 20V + 80mV both diodes are sharing current to R=5K.What about output voltage here?

Also,This means we are studying both diodes,first at ]-∞;20[ (for zone a) then at 20 V -80 mV≈ 20 V(for zone b) and as we are going to zone c, ]20V + 80 mV;+∞[.I think that we should have studied the diodes at ]-∞;0[ ,[0;20], [20;+∞[.This is because at [0;20] the diodes are actually conducting,but in ]20;+ ∞[ only D1 is conducting. For zone c, as the Vin increases beyond 20V + 80mV the current is only flowing in D1, and D2 is not conducting.in R=5k increases beyond 4mA, so the effect of Rforward increases slightly as Vin increases. The output is close to Vin-80mV, but this changes as the voltage changes because the current in the Rf and R=5K changes.I get this.
c)Now it has no zone b with intermediate slope because there is only one diode, and current is not shared with another diode. The output is almost exactly 20V in zone a, when Vi is below 20V because there is no current in the output circuit. In zone c Vout is almost the same as Vin because only a small current flows through R=5K to the 20V supply. This is because the voltage difference is not large, e.g. 1V across 5K = 200uA.The voltage drop across Rf is correspondingly small, at 4mV for Vin = 21V.
I get this.
d)
Reduce Rf in both diodes as small as possible as this makes the range of voltages shared between the diode very small, so zone b is very small.I don't get this,he practically just explained the question but when I asked him about a hint,he didnt reply.How do I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elaia06, is there a sketch of the transfer characteristic with all your a, b, c, ..., etc., points and regions marked?

Likes 1 person
Nascent Oxygen,I need to have a very clear idea about what b) is like ,so I can build the transfer :)

Elaia06 said:
Nascent Oxygen,I need to have a very clear idea about what b) is like ,so I can build the transfer :)
Your verbal analysis is very good, and you seem to have things well thought out. I'm sure you can make a good attempt at sketching the curve. You are allowed to make estimates, they can be improved later as your understanding improves.

Dear student,

Thank you for providing the details of your exercise. I am glad to hear that you have consulted with your teacher and have received some clarification on the problem. I will try my best to provide a response that addresses your remaining uncertainties.

a) From your description, it seems that you have correctly plotted the transferring characteristic for the given circuit. Zone a represents the region where D1 is conducting and D2 is not conducting, and thus the output voltage is equal to the input voltage (Vin). Zone c represents the region where D2 is conducting and D1 is not conducting, and thus the output voltage is equal to the forward voltage drop of D2 (20V - 0.08V ≈ 20V). Zone b is the region where both diodes are conducting, and the output voltage is determined by the voltage drop across the diodes and the resistor R.

b) You have correctly identified the state of the diodes in each zone. In zone a, D1 is conducting and D2 is not conducting. Therefore, the output voltage is equal to the input voltage (Vin). In zone b, both D1 and D2 are conducting, and the output voltage is determined by the voltage drop across the diodes and the resistor R. Specifically, the output voltage can be calculated using the following equation:

Vout = Vin - (I * R)

where I is the current flowing through the diodes and R is the resistance of the resistor R. In zone c, D2 is conducting and D1 is not conducting. Therefore, the output voltage is equal to the forward voltage drop of D2 (20V - 0.08V ≈ 20V).

c) Your explanation for this case is correct. When the diode D2 is replaced with a resistor, there is no longer a zone b because there is only one diode conducting. Therefore, the output voltage is either equal to the input voltage (zone a) or the forward voltage drop of the diode (zone c). This is because the current flowing through the resistor R is very small, and thus the voltage drop across it is also small.

d) In this part of the exercise, you are required to modify the circuit in such a way that there is only one breakpoint in the transferring characteristic, instead of two. This can be achieved by reducing the resistance of the diodes (Rf) as much as possible. As you correctly mentioned, this

1. What is a diode limiting circuit?

A diode limiting circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses diodes to limit or regulate the flow of current in a circuit. It is commonly used to protect sensitive electronic components from overvoltage or overcurrent.

2. How does a diode limiting circuit work?

A diode limiting circuit works by using the properties of a diode to allow current to flow in one direction and block it in the opposite direction. When the voltage exceeds a certain threshold, the diode will become forward-biased and allow current to flow through, limiting the voltage to a safe level.

3. What are the advantages of using a diode limiting circuit?

Some advantages of using a diode limiting circuit include protection against overvoltage and overcurrent, low cost and simplicity, and fast response time. It can also be used to regulate voltage levels in a circuit.

4. What are some common applications of diode limiting circuits?

Diode limiting circuits are commonly used in power supplies, electronic equipment, and electrical systems to protect against voltage spikes and surges. They are also used in LED lighting, battery charging, and motor control circuits.

5. Can a diode limiting circuit be used for AC and DC circuits?

Yes, a diode limiting circuit can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, the type of diode used may vary depending on the type of circuit. For example, Zener diodes are commonly used for DC circuits, while varactor diodes are used for AC circuits.