Diplomatic resolution of U.S. - China proprietary debt

In summary: The Party itself doesn't necessarily "own" the factories, but they do have a significant say in who operates them and what products are produced. What entity does own the 'Chineese' portion of the US debt? I thought it was a Sino-bank of some sort? (Which I support may be 100% government ran, but still)
Loren Booda
The U.S. owes China around 2 trillion dollars. How might patent violations and industrial espionage by China (and the U.S.) figure in modifying this debt? In that regard it seems to me that China is undermining the U.S. economy by being the stealthiest of thieves. Can the debt be further resolved by fairness?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
The U.S. owes China around 2 trillion dollars. How might patent violations and industrial espionage by China (and the U.S.) figure in modifying this debt? In that regard it seems to me that China is undermining the U.S. economy by being the stealthiest of thieves. Can the debt be further resolved by fairness?

Label this opinion - based on personal experience only.

The Chinese were willing to sell products at a loss to fill manufacturing capacity 10 years ago. They were also willing (in some cases) to make investments in new equipment and purchase old equipment and supplies relocated to China. In most cases they required a specific volume purchase - for inexpensive (junk) items normally increments of 1 million units - for large items a dollar amount. They like to deal in container quantities.

Now, if there were over-committments of volume or change orders - they viewed this as a breach of the agreement. In the early days, you could not call China and tell them to stop the production line - they would just keep making the items and pile them high. if you didn't take delivery - they dumped them anywhere they could at or above the price you agreed to pay.

Also - they have an appetite for reverse engineering - sometimes they find a way to lower production costs and sometimes they "invent" a new product.

Again IMO - now that they don't have to sell products at a loss - they are going to test all of the limits.

The key is to find out what they want and or need - and address them head-on. Continued IMO - Donald Trump does know a little bit about dealing with the Chinese - he shouldn't be discounted (wholesale) on this topic.

Last edited:
What entity does own the 'Chineese' portion of the US debt? I thought it was a Sino-bank of some sort? (Which I support may be 100% government ran, but still)

mege said:
What entity does own the 'Chineese' portion of the US debt? I thought it was a Sino-bank of some sort? (Which I support may be 100% government ran, but still)

That's a valid legal question. However, if you look closely at the "ownership" of the manufacturing base you might just identify a trend - high level Party affiliation - and in some cases the use of excess military manufacturing capacity.

As a scientist, my expertise is not in economics or politics, but I can provide a logical and objective perspective on this issue. First of all, it is important to note that patent violations and industrial espionage are complex issues that cannot be solely attributed to one country. Both the U.S. and China have been accused of engaging in such activities, and it is difficult to determine the extent of their involvement or the impact on the economy.

In terms of resolving the debt between the U.S. and China, it is crucial to approach the situation with fairness and transparency. Any accusations of theft or unfair practices should be thoroughly investigated and addressed through appropriate channels. It is also important for both countries to come to a mutual understanding and agreement on how to handle intellectual property and trade issues in the future.

Ultimately, the resolution of this debt should not be solely based on accusations or perceived wrongdoing, but rather on a fair and balanced approach that takes into account the economic realities and the long-term relationship between the two countries. Both the U.S. and China have a responsibility to work together towards a mutually beneficial solution, rather than engaging in a blame game that could further harm their economic ties.

What is the U.S. - China proprietary debt?

The U.S. - China proprietary debt refers to the debt that the United States owes to China as a result of trade imbalances and borrowing from the Chinese government.

Why is the U.S. in debt to China?

The U.S. has been borrowing money from China for many years to finance its trade deficit and government spending. This has led to a significant amount of debt owed to China.

How much money does the U.S. owe to China?

As of 2021, the U.S. owes approximately $1.1 trillion to China, making it the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt.

What is the impact of the U.S. - China proprietary debt?

The U.S. - China proprietary debt has both positive and negative impacts. On one hand, it allows the U.S. to borrow money at a low interest rate, but on the other hand, it can also create economic imbalances and dependence on China.

How can the U.S. and China resolve the proprietary debt issue?

The U.S. and China can resolve the proprietary debt issue through diplomatic negotiations and agreements. This can include debt restructuring, trade deals, and finding ways to reduce the trade deficit. Additionally, both countries can work towards improving their economic relationship and finding mutually beneficial solutions.