How Can Dirac Notation Be Used to Determine Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eigenvalues and eigenstates in relation to the eigenvalue equation, as well as the use of projection operators to determine eigenvectors and eigenvalues. The conversation also touches on the question of finding a more algebraic method for determining eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.
phys

Homework Statement

I have the following question (see below)

Homework Equations

The eigenvalue equation is Au = pu where u denotes the eigenstate and p denotes the eigenvalue

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the eigenvalues are +1 and - 1, and the states are (phi + Bphi) and (phi-Bphi)
however I got this by just substituting these in from the symmetry of the operator.

Is there are neat algebraic way to work out the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions as opposed to just substitution?

I am stuck on working out how to express the 0 eigenvalue eigenstates in terms of the projection operator as well ...

Thank you very much

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 18.30.10.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 18.30.10.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
About the projection operator , I'm not very well versed in them but if |x> is an eigenvector of it's projection operator with an eigenvalue of 1 ,
|x> <x| |x> = |x>
and any vector orthogonal to the |x> shown above is an eigenvector with eigenvalue zero. Also if
|x> <x| |A> = |x> <|A>
then if A is our zero eigenstate it seems a little meaningless.
Not sure how this fits in with a 0 value eigenstate though.
Sorry if I'm wrong.

What is Dirac Notation Eigenvalues?

Dirac Notation Eigenvalues is a mathematical notation system used in quantum mechanics to represent the eigenvalues of a quantum mechanical operator. It was developed by British physicist Paul Dirac in the 20th century.

How is Dirac Notation Eigenvalues used?

Dirac Notation Eigenvalues is used to simplify the representation of quantum mechanical operators and their corresponding eigenvalues. It uses a combination of bra and ket vectors to represent the eigenvalues of an operator.

What are bra and ket vectors?

Bra and ket vectors are special notations used in Dirac Notation Eigenvalues. A bra vector \langle a | represents a row vector and a ket vector | a \rangle represents a column vector. These vectors are used to represent the eigenvalues of a quantum mechanical operator.

How are eigenvalues calculated using Dirac Notation Eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues of a quantum mechanical operator can be calculated using the bra and ket vectors. The eigenvalue of an operator A is given by \langle a | A | a \rangle where | a \rangle is the ket vector corresponding to the eigenvalue.

What are the advantages of using Dirac Notation Eigenvalues?

Dirac Notation Eigenvalues has several advantages over traditional notations. It simplifies the representation of quantum mechanical operators and their corresponding eigenvalues. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these values, making it a powerful tool in quantum mechanics.