Dirac Notation: Why is order reversed in ket expasion?

In summary, Shankar and others introduce the inner product as <i|V> = vi (Shankar 1.3.4) and expand the ket |V> as |V> = Σ vi|i> and |V> = Σ |i><i|V> (Shankar 1.3.5). They reverse the order of the component vi and the ket |i> when writing the former as the inner product <i|V>, which may seem unnecessary but serves to stress the appearance of the outer product |i><i|. This convention may seem complicated, but it is important to note that operators do not commute. The outer product is also referred to as the
RoadDog
TL;DR Summary
When expanding a ket as a sum of components and basis unit vectors, Why is the order of ket and corresponding vector component reversed when writing the vector component as an inner product under the summation?
Shankar Prin. of QM 2nd Ed (and others) introduce the inner product:

<i|V> = vi ...(Shankar 1.3.4)

They expand the ket |V> as:

|V> = Σ vi|i>

|V> = Σ |i><i|V> ...(Shankar 1.3.5)

Why do they reverse the order of the component vi and the ket |i> when they write the former as the inner product <i|V>? It should not matter right? The reversal of order is almost as if it is to stress the appearance of the outer product |i><i|.

Physics news on Phys.org
Operationally one must be careful because the operators do not commute. This leads to complications better explained by those fluently conversant in Hilbert.

• Haha
Likes kered rettop
Thank you for your reply. You are speaking of the outer product as the projection operator? Right. But I am asking, why must it be written as such. What is wrong with writing:

|V> = Σ <i|V> |i>

if <i|V> = vi?

Both ##v_i## and ##\bra i \ket v ## are numbers so their position does not really matter. It is a convention (a useful one) to leave the open operators on the outside.

Last edited:
OK thanks that is what I figured. Thanks

Likes hutchphd

1. What is Dirac Notation?

Dirac Notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics textbooks and research papers.

2. What is the purpose of reversing the order in ket expansion?

The purpose of reversing the order in ket expansion is to maintain consistency with the notation used for inner products. In Dirac Notation, the inner product of two vectors is represented by ⟨A|B⟩, where A and B are vectors. To maintain this notation, the order of the vectors in the outer product, represented by |A⟩⟨B|, is reversed.

3. How is Dirac Notation used in quantum mechanics?

Dirac Notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and measurements in quantum mechanics. It simplifies calculations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of complex quantum concepts.

4. Why is Dirac Notation preferred over other notations in quantum mechanics?

Dirac Notation is preferred over other notations in quantum mechanics because it is concise, elegant, and easy to use. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of complex quantum concepts and simplifies calculations.

5. Are there any other applications of Dirac Notation?

Yes, Dirac Notation is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and quantum information theory. It is also used in engineering, particularly in signal processing and control theory.