Direction of acceleration of a projectile with drag force

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics problem involving resistive force and acceleration. The initial equation set up for the problem was found to be incorrect, as the acceleration should be in the direction opposite the initial velocity to slow the mass down. The corrected equation followed Newton's 2nd Law and showed that the horizontal component of the acceleration points opposite the velocity. It was also noted that this problem was easier than the higher speed case where the drag grows as the square of the velocity.
baseballfan_ny
Homework Statement
At low speeds (especially in liquids rather than gases), the drag force is proportional to
~ the velocity, i.e., F = −C ~v, where C is a constant. At time t = 0, a small ball of mass
m is projected into a liquid so that it initially has a horizontal velocity of magnitude
u in the +x direction as shown. (The vertical component of the velocity is zero). The
gravitational acceleration is g. Consider the cartesian coordinate system shown in the
figure (+x to the right and +y downwards).

(a) What is the component of the acceleration in the x direction for t > 0? Express
your answer in terms of vx (the component of the velocity in the x direction), C,
g, m and u as needed.
Relevant Equations
F = -bv
F = ma
a = dv/dt
Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 9.44.46 PM.png

First and foremost, thank you so much for your help! I'm new to Physics Forums, and this is my first post.

I thought I understood the problem, but as I moved on to the subsequent parts of it became apparent that I was missing something. I set up my ##F = ma## equation as below, and solved that for ##a_x##.
$$\sum F_x = -Cv(t)_x = m(-a_x)$$
$$a_x = \frac {C*v(t)_x} {m}$$

However, I think this is incorrect, but I just can't conceptualize why. The resistive force on the mass points in the ##-\hat x## direction and the mass starts with an initial velocity directed in the ##+\hat x## direction. I assumed that the acceleration of the mass must also point in the ##-\hat x## direction to oppose the velocity and slow the mass down. But this doesn't seem to be right, as it would imply an infinite terminal velocity for the mass and most online solutions seem to show that
$$\sum F_x = -Cv(t)_x = m(a_x)$$

I just don't get why the acceleration points in the opposite direction of the resistive force. If this resistive force is the only force on the mass, shouldn't the acceleration have the same direction? And doesn't the acceleration need to be in the opposite direction of the initial velocity to slow the mass down?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
baseballfan_ny said:
$$\sum F_x = -Cv(t)_x = m(-a_x)$$
According to master Newton
$$\sum F_x = m(a_x)$$

Likes etotheipi
Thanks for the response!

I guess it makes sense that to follow Newton's 2nd Law, ##\sum F_x = m(a_x)##. But I'm still a little bit confused on the mathematical interpretation. Shouldn't the acceleration point in the direction opposite the initial velocity to slow the mass down?

Thanks!

baseballfan_ny said:
Shouldn't the acceleration point in the direction opposite the initial velocity to slow the mass down?
With the corrected sign it does:
##-Cv(t)_x=\sum F_x = m(a_x)##
##a_x=-\frac{Cv(t)_x}m##

Likes baseballfan_ny and etotheipi
Oh! I think I get it now. ##a_x## is not a vector but a component, and it's equal to the sum of the left hand side divided by m. So the actual vector ##\vec a## would be something like ##\vec a## = <-##\frac{Cv(t)_x}m##, g>, which clearly shows that the horizontal component of the acceleration points opposite the velocity.

baseballfan_ny said:
Oh! I think I get it now. ##a_x## is not a vector but a component, and it's equal to the sum of the left hand side divided by m. So the actual vector ##\vec a## would be something like ##\vec a## = <-##\frac{Cv(t)_x}m##, g>, which clearly shows that the horizontal component of the acceleration points opposite the velocity.
Right.
One thing to note about this problem is that it is much easier than the higher speed case, where the drag grows as the square of the velocity. In that case, the horizontal and and vertical equations cannot be disentangled.

Likes baseballfan_ny
Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force?

The direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force is always in the opposite direction of its velocity vector. This means that the projectile will slow down and eventually come to a stop due to the drag force acting in the opposite direction of its motion.

2. How does the direction of acceleration change over time for a projectile with drag force?

As the projectile with drag force moves through the air, its velocity vector will decrease due to the drag force acting on it. This means that the direction of acceleration will also change over time, becoming increasingly closer to the opposite direction of the projectile's initial velocity vector.

3. Can the direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force ever be in the same direction as its velocity vector?

No, the direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force will always be in the opposite direction of its velocity vector. This is because the drag force acts to slow down the projectile, causing it to decelerate and eventually come to a stop.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its direction of acceleration with drag force?

The mass of a projectile will not affect the direction of its acceleration with drag force. However, a heavier projectile will experience a greater drag force and therefore will decelerate more quickly than a lighter projectile with the same initial velocity.

5. Can the direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force change during its flight?

Yes, the direction of acceleration for a projectile with drag force can change during its flight. This is because the drag force acting on the projectile will increase as its velocity decreases, causing the direction of acceleration to become increasingly closer to the opposite direction of the projectile's initial velocity vector.