Direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder

In summary: The summary is: "In summary, a cylinder of mass M and radius R rolling without slipping on a plank accelerated at rate A will have an acceleration of -2(⅓ A) in the inertial frame. This is due to the fact that the bottom part of the cylinder has a tendency to move towards the left, causing the friction force to act towards the right. However, it is important to note that the direction of the angular velocity does not give any information about the direction of the angular acceleration and torque."
Pushoam

Homework Statement

A cylinder of mass M and radius R rolls without slipping on a plank
that is accelerated at rate A. Find the acceleration of the cylinder.
upload_2017-7-21_12-39-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physical force acting on the system : Fphy = N + mg + fr

w.r.t. plank frame i.e non - inertial frame,

1) the cylinder has pure rolling motion.

2)Net force acting on the cylinder : F(cy,n-in) = Fphy + Fpseudo
3) |a(cy,n-in) | = |α(cy,n-in)| R

What is the direction of friction ?

The cylinder is rolling clockwise. So, α and Γ are along - ## \hat z ## direction.
Now, the only force providing torque is the friction force.
fr Ξ fr ##\hat x##

Now, the torque about the center of mass is Γ = R(- ##\hat y##) × fr ##\hat x## = |Γ|(- ##\hat z##)
Rfr ##\hat z## = |Γ|(- ##\hat z##)

fr = -|fr |
This implies that the friction is acting towards left.
But the bottom part of the cylinder has a tendency to move towards left and friction force will oppose this relative motion. So, the friction will act toward right.

I am getting two contradictory answers. Where is it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that, instead of looking at the problem in the original inertial frame, you consider the problem in the rest frame of the plank (which is an accelerated frame). You can then transform the result back to the original frame to find the acceleration ##a##.

Orodruin said:
I suggest that, instead of looking at the problem in the original inertial frame, you consider the problem in the rest frame of the plank (which is an accelerated frame). You can then transform the result back to the original frame to find the acceleration aaa.
I have done it. Please see the OP.

So then it should be a simple matter of relating this to how the friction force acts on a cylinder rolling without slipping on an inclined plane. However, the fact remains that you do not need to do the force analysis.

Orodruin said:
So then it should be a simple matter of relating this to how the friction force acts on a cylinder rolling without slipping on an inclined plane.
The plane is not inclined.
Orodruin said:
However, the fact remains that you do not need to do the force analysis.
I think what you suggest is :
Pushoam said:
But the bottom part of the cylinder has a tendency to move towards left and friction force will oppose this relative motion. So, the friction will act toward right.
But, I want to know why does this force or torque analysis give different result (as I often do this mistake)?

Pushoam said:
The plane is not inclined.
It is in the accelerated frame. The inertial force is not orthogonal to the plane. The problem is exactly equivalent to a cylinder rolling on a plane in the x-direction with the gravitational field equal to ##-g\hat y - A \hat x##.

You can even notice this effect if you walk in a train when it is accelerating or decelerating. Walking in the forward direction when the train accelerates is just like going uphill.

Pushoam said:
But, I want to know why does this force or torque analysis give different result (as I often do this mistake)?

##(-\hat y) \times \hat x = \hat x \times \hat y = \hat z \neq - \hat z##

Likes Pushoam
I think I got the mistake.

It is in this statement:
Pushoam said:
The cylinder is rolling clockwise. So, α and Γ are along - ##\hat z ## direction.

"The cylinder is rolling clockwise " implies that the angular velocity is along - ##\hat z ## direction. It doesn't give any information about the direction of α and Γ.
So, I have to find direction of friction in the following way:
Pushoam said:

So, the friction is fr = fr ##\hat x##, fr >0 N
Now, the torque about the center of mass is :
Γ = R(-##\hat y##) × fr ##\hat x## = Rfr ##\hat z## = Iα ##\hat z## = (##\frac {MR^2} 2 ##) (a (cy,n-in)) /R ##\hat z##
Rfr = (##\frac {MR^2} 2 ##) (a (cy,n-in)) /R
fr = ½ M|a (cy,n-in) |
Note that as α is anticlockwise, a (cy,n-in) = |a (cy,n-in) | (-## \hat x##)

From Fphy = N + mg + fr , we have
fr = Mai, w.r.t. inertial frame

So, ai = ½ |a (cy,n-in) |

From
F(cy,n-in) = Fphy+ Fpseudo we have
|a (cy,n-in) | (- ## \hat x ##) = ai (## \hat x ##) - A (## \hat x ##)
-3 ai = -A
ai = ⅓ A
a (cy,n-in) = -2(⅓ A)

Is this correct?

Pushoam said:
Rfr = (##\frac {MR^2} 2 ##) (a (cy,n-in)) /R
You seem to claim the angular acceleration of the cylinder is the linear acceleration over R?

Think about if the linear acceleration of the cylinder was zero... wouldn't the cylinder still need to rotate in order to not slip?

Oh, sorry, I did not realize you were working partially in the inertial frame and partially in the accelerated frame.

I agree with your result, a=A/3

Likes Pushoam
Hiero said:
You seem to claim the angular acceleration of the cylinder is the linear acceleration over R?
w.r.t. plank frame,
The cylinder is purely rolling.
In pure rolling motion,
ds = R dθ
v = ## \frac {ds} {dt} ## = R ##\frac{dθ} {dt} ## = Rω
a = ## \frac {dv} {dt} ## = R ##\frac{dω} {dt} ## = Rα

1. What is the direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder?

The direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder is opposite to the direction of motion of the cylinder. This means that if the cylinder is moving to the right, the frictional force will act to the left, and vice versa.

2. How does the direction of friction affect the motion of a rolling cylinder?

The direction of friction affects the motion of a rolling cylinder by slowing it down. As the cylinder rolls, the frictional force acts in the opposite direction of motion, creating a resistance force that reduces the speed of the cylinder.

3. Can the direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder change?

Yes, the direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder can change depending on the direction of motion of the cylinder. If the cylinder changes direction, the direction of friction will also change accordingly.

4. What factors can affect the direction of friction on a rolling cylinder?

The direction of friction on a rolling cylinder can be affected by the surface on which the cylinder is rolling, the weight of the cylinder, and the speed at which it is rolling. These factors can influence the strength and direction of the frictional force.

5. Is the direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder always opposite to the direction of motion?

No, the direction of friction acting on a rolling cylinder is not always opposite to the direction of motion. In certain cases, such as when the cylinder is rolling up an incline, the direction of friction may be in the same direction as the motion, helping to slow down the cylinder's descent.