Direction of friction on two stacked boxes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two stacked boxes on a frictionless table being accelerated by a force. The direction of the frictional forces between the two boxes is dependent on which box is being considered, but they form a third law pair and are therefore in opposite directions. The top box experiences a frictional force to the right, causing it to fall behind the lower box.
fontseeker

Homework Statement

Solve the free diagram of two stacked boxes on a frictionless table accelerated by a force.

Homework Equations

[/B]
None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have box 2 stacked on box 1. Box 1 is on a frictionless table and accelerated by a force. However, there is friction between box 1 and box 2.

Now, I was told that this is the diagram for that problem:
0vuMd.jpg

I thought that since m1 and m2 are moving to the right, then the frictional force between box 1 and 2 will be to the left, opposite to the direction of motion. Can someone confirm what is the actual direction of friction for the frictional force between box 1 and box 2?

Also, is the action-reaction pair of forces between box 1 and box 2 the normal force of box 1 and the negative normal force of box 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "the frictional force between box 1 and box 2", the statement does not contain enough information as you need to specify the object the force is acting on. The frictional force from box 1 on box 2 and the frictional force from box 2 on box 1 form a third law pair and are therefore of the same magnitude but opposite direction. This is also clear from the sketch.

Orodruin said:
There is no such thing as "the frictional force between box 1 and box 2", the statement does not contain enough information as you need to specify the object the force is acting on. The frictional force from box 1 on box 2 and the frictional force from box 2 on box 1 form a third law pair and are therefore of the same magnitude but opposite direction. This is also clear from the sketch.
I was told there was a coefficient of static and kinetic friction between boxes 1 and 2. So I don't understand how there is no frictional force between them?

fontseeker said:
So I don't understand how there is no frictional force between them?
That is not what I said. I said your statement was not sufficiently accurate to identify which of the frictional forces you were asking about. The one from 1 on 2 or the one from 2 on 1. They form a third law pair and are therefore in opposite directions.

Orodruin said:
That is not what I said. I said your statement was not sufficiently accurate to identify which of the frictional forces you were asking about. The one from 1 on 2 or the one from 2 on 1. They form a third law pair and are therefore in opposite directions.
So this is a similar problem on where I have that scenario:

F7ocYud.jpg

How would I identify the direction of friction in this problem?

fontseeker said:
How would I identify the direction of friction in this problem?
Again, there is no such thing as ”direction of friction”. In order to talk about the direction of a force you must specify what force you are talking about. Just saying ”friction” is not enough to do that. You must specify what object the frictional force you are interested in acts on.

Orodruin said:
Again, there is no such thing as ”direction of friction”. In order to talk about the direction of a force you must specify what force you are talking about. Just saying ”friction” is not enough to do that. You must specify what object the frictional force you are interested in acts on.
I am interested in both object 1 and 2. I want to find the direction of friction for those two objects separately, since I need to create a free-body diagram of both objects completely independently.

fontseeker said:
I am interested in both object 1 and 2. I want to find the direction of friction for those two objects separately, since I need to create a free-body diagram of both objects completely independently.
If you know one you will know the other. They form a third law pair. So pick one of the objects, say the top one. What do you think the direction of the frictional force acting on that object is and why?

Orodruin said:
If you know one you will know the other. They form a third law pair. So pick one of the objects, say the top one. What do you think the direction of the frictional force acting on that object is and why?
From personal experience, I know that the top box will fall behind, meaning the friction will go to the right on the top box. However, I don't understand why the box falls to the right.

fontseeker said:
the friction will go to the right on the top box
Yes.
fontseeker said:
I don't understand why the box falls to the right.
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying you have been told the top box will overtake the lower one and fall off its right hand side? That is not so.

1. What is the direction of friction between two stacked boxes?

The direction of friction between two stacked boxes is opposite to the direction of motion or the force applied on the top box. This means that if the force is applied downwards, the friction will act upwards, and if the force is applied upwards, the friction will act downwards.

2. Does the direction of friction change if the boxes are stacked on an inclined surface?

Yes, the direction of friction will change if the boxes are stacked on an inclined surface. In this case, the direction of friction will be parallel to the surface and in the opposite direction of the component of the weight of the top box that is perpendicular to the surface.

3. How does the weight of the boxes affect the direction of friction?

The weight of the boxes does not affect the direction of friction. Friction is independent of the weight of the objects and only depends on the type of surfaces in contact and the force applied.

4. Can the direction of friction be zero between two stacked boxes?

Yes, the direction of friction can be zero between two stacked boxes if there is no external force acting on them or if the force is applied along the same direction as the motion.

5. Is the direction of friction different for different types of surfaces?

Yes, the direction of friction can vary for different types of surfaces. It depends on the roughness, texture, and any other factors that affect the friction between the two surfaces in contact.