Direction positive and negative charges will movebetween electrodes?

In summary, the electric field can overcome the forces that the point charges exert on one another and the positive charge would move to Va and the negative charge would move towards Vb.
carnivalcougar

Homework Statement

If a small positive and negative charge are created at rest at a point between electrodes as shown in the figure. In which direction will they move if one would neglect gravity?

Ignore those weird arrows, those are for later questions.

jenNUByl.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what Vb means. A different question indicates that it is the "biased electrode." Does this mean it is the charged electrode? If so, I think that the positive charge would move towards the negative plate and the negative charge would move toward the grounded plate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what Vb means.
Va is the voltage on plate "a" and Vb is the voltage on plate "b".

A different question indicates that it is the "biased electrode." Does this mean it is the charged electrode?
It may do - but it does not have to. You'll notice that it says Va=0 ... this means that all voltages are measured with the negative terminal of the voltmeter on plate "a".

If so, I think that the positive charge would move towards the negative plate and the negative charge would move toward the grounded plate.
Are you told that pate "a" is grounded?

To determine the charge on plate "b" you need to know if Vb is greater than or less than zero don't you?

But it may be that both plates are positively charged - in which case Vb > Va if plate b has more positive charges than plate a. Or maybe they are both negatively charged - or are oppositely charged.

(Note: that b is "biased" wrt a suggests Vb > Va ... if Vb < Va then we'd say that b is "negatively biased" wrt a.)

Do you know how the electric field relates to the voltage?
Do you know how the force on a charge relates to the electric field?

Last edited:
Are you told that pate "a" is grounded?

Yes, it says that plate "a" is grounded.

To determine the charge on plate "b" you need to know if Vb is greater than or less than zero don't you?

It does not say whether or not Vb is greater than or less than zero, only that these charges are between electrodes as seen in the figure.

Do you know how the electric field relates to the voltage?
Do you know how the force on a charge relates to the electric field?

E = V/d and F=kQ1Q2/R^2

I'm thinking that the electric field can overcome the forces that the point charges exert on one another and the positive charge would move to Va and the negative charge would move towards Vb.

E = V/d and F=kQ1Q2/R^2
These don't really answer the questions I put though do they?

The first is my fault - I did not specify the voltage that I meant.
So: Can you rewrite E=V/d in terms of Va and Vb?

But the electric field is a vector. This is not a vector equation.

Can you sketch the electric field lines on your diagram? What would they look like? (Describe them.)
How do the electric field lines relate to the motion of the charges?

The second equation does not answer the question at all ... I asked about the force in relation to a charge q and an electric field. So the equation you need has an "F", a "q", and an "E" in it. Your's has only one of these.

I'm thinking that the electric field can overcome the forces that the point charges exert on one another
... that is fair, otherwise the question makes no sense ;)

It does not say whether or not Vb is greater than or less than zero...
You will have to decide, from the information you are given, which is more reasonable: Vb > Va or Vb < Va or Vb = Va.

...and the positive charge would move to Va and the negative charge would move towards Vb.
Note: there are only two possibilities - if the first was wrong then the other must be correct ... but was the first one wrong?
... it is your reasoning that counts here not the final answer.

In terms of Va and Vb, Vb-Va = 0, assuming that Vb > Va.

The electric field lines would go from positive to negative, so assuming Vb is positively charged, they would flow from Vb to Va. The positive charge would follow these field lines and go away from the positive plate and to the negative plate. The negative charge would do the opposite and go towards the positive plate.

The equation you must be talking about is F=qE
Force = charge * electric field
This says a positive particle will be accelerated in the direction of an electric field while a negative charge will be accelerated in the opposite direction of an electric field.

It seems as though the correct answer is that the positive charge will move towards Va and the negative charge will move towards Vb.

carnivalcougar said:
In terms of Va and Vb, Vb-Va = 0, assuming that Vb > Va.
Surely Vb-Va=0 only when Vb=Va? But you said that Vb > Va ?!

The electric field lines would go from positive to negative, so assuming Vb is positively charged, they would flow from Vb to Va. The positive charge would follow these field lines and go away from the positive plate and to the negative plate. The negative charge would do the opposite and go towards the positive plate.
Well done - you have answered your question.

The equation you must be talking about is F=qE
Force = charge * electric field
This says a positive particle will be accelerated in the direction of an electric field while a negative charge will be accelerated in the opposite direction of an electric field.

It seems as though the correct answer is that the positive charge will move towards Va and the negative charge will move towards Vb.

Not only have you figured out the answer, but you also eliminated your need to have someone tell you it's correct :) well done.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help!

No worries. It's all your work - I just asked annoying questions ;)

1. How do positive and negative charges move between electrodes?

Positive and negative charges move between electrodes due to an electric field that is created by a potential difference between the electrodes. The electric field exerts a force on the charges, causing them to move towards the opposite electrode.

2. What is the direction of movement for positive and negative charges between electrodes?

Positive charges will move towards the negative electrode, while negative charges will move towards the positive electrode. This is due to the fact that opposite charges are attracted to each other.

3. What determines the speed of the movement of charges between electrodes?

The speed of the movement of charges between electrodes is determined by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude of the charges, and the distance between the electrodes. The stronger the electric field and the larger the charges, the faster they will move. However, the farther apart the electrodes are, the longer it will take for the charges to reach their destination.

4. Is the movement of charges between electrodes affected by the material of the electrodes?

Yes, the material of the electrodes can affect the movement of charges. Some materials may have a higher conductivity, allowing charges to move more easily between them. The shape and size of the electrodes can also impact the movement of charges.

5. Can the direction of movement for charges between electrodes be reversed?

Yes, the direction of movement for charges between electrodes can be reversed by changing the potential difference between the electrodes. If the negative electrode is given a higher potential, then positive charges will move towards it instead of away from it. This can be seen in devices such as batteries, where the direction of movement of charges can be reversed by changing the direction of the potential difference.