Directional Derivative of Ricci Scalar: Lev-Civita Connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary conditions for the directional derivative of the Ricci scalar along a Killing Vector Field to be zero. The participants suggest that the Levi-Civita connection may not be necessary, as the Lie derivative is more fundamental. However, the use of the Bianchi identities and metric compatibility may still require a torsion-free connection. There is uncertainty about whether these conditions guarantee that the derivative along the Killing is zero.
loops496
I have a question about the directional derivative of the Ricci scalar along a Killing Vector Field. What conditions are necessary on the connection such that [itex]K^\alpha \nabla_\alpha R=0[/itex]. Is the Levi-Civita connection necessary?
I'm not sure about it but I believe since the Lie derivative is more 'fundamental' than the covariant derivative it might be not necessary to have a Levi-Civita connection, but maybe I'm just conjecturing nonsense. Hope anyone can help me find an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need ##\nabla_a g_{bc}=0##. If the Lie derivative of a field is zero then ##g_{ab}## is preserved on the integral curves. You do not need a connection for the Lie derivative.

Likes loops496 and vanhees71
Hey Mentz114, thank for replying! Since you don't need a connection for the Lie derivative, and Killing Vector Fields depend upon the Lie derivative I suspect you don't need the Levi-Civita Connection, However for the derivation of such identity I used the Bianchi identities which rely on a torsion free connection. So I don't know wether you acually don't need it.

##\nabla_c g_{ab}=0## implies the LC connection.

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question ...

I think metric compatibility is a weaker condition, i.e. you can have various Riemannian connections without any being the LC. But that still does not guarantee that the derivative along the Killing of the curvature scalar is 0, or does it?

1. What is the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar?

The directional derivative of Ricci Scalar is a measure of how the Ricci Scalar changes in a particular direction. It is calculated using the Lev-Civita Connection, which takes into account the curvature of the space. This derivative is used in differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces.

2. How is the Lev-Civita Connection related to the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar?

The Lev-Civita Connection is a mathematical tool used to define the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar. It takes into account the curvature of the space and allows for the calculation of the directional derivative in any direction. It is an essential component in studying the properties of curved spaces.

3. What is the significance of studying the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar?

The directional derivative of Ricci Scalar is a fundamental tool in understanding the geometry of curved spaces. It allows for the measurement of how the Ricci Scalar changes in a particular direction, providing insights into the curvature and properties of the space. This is essential for various applications, including relativity, cosmology, and differential geometry.

4. How is the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar calculated?

The directional derivative of Ricci Scalar is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the Ricci Scalar with the vector representing the direction in which the derivative is being calculated. This calculation is done using the Lev-Civita Connection, which takes into account the curvature of the space.

5. What are some real-world applications of the directional derivative of Ricci Scalar?

The directional derivative of Ricci Scalar has various real-world applications, including in the study of general relativity, cosmology, and differential geometry. It is also used in the analysis of gravitational waves and the study of the properties of black holes. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics, where an understanding of curved spaces is essential.