Directional electron cloud/separating ions from free electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using microwaves to ionize gas and separate atoms from directionalized electrons. The possibility of using a magnetic coil and DC field to manipulate the charges in the plasma is also considered. However, the conversation concludes that this is not possible and suggests looking into Magnetohydrodynamics for a design of an electricity generator.
Dohmer
If you were sending microwaves one direction to ionize a gas, would you be able to pull or separate the atoms from these directionalized electrons? Say you had a magnetic coil with a strong e field pulling the atoms one way while the microwaves were trying to push the electrons the other way-is this in any way do-able with any existing devices?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "directionalized electrons"?

Nugatory said:

By "directionalized electrons," I mean microwaves flowing in one direction, alternating the shape of the plasma plume so that the concentration of electrons is shifted to one side.

Nugatory said:
Do you follow? I suppose something that is also a part of the original question is- how do you 'pull' a current from the plasma

The mean field of the microwaves is zero so I can't see that there will be any net resultant force on either set of charges. However, once you have the plasma, a DC field will tend to separate the charges in two directions, though.

Wouldn't having a constant generation of microwaves be practically the same as a DC field? What I was thinking is that if you could shift the negative charge of a plasma in one direction, then could you draw that current effectively by some type of circuit?

I apologize for the broadness of my question..

Thank you

What does 'practically the same' mean? The mean value is Zero so where is the D.C.?
To obtain DC power (in the form of a Current and a PD) you need some rectifying mechanism.
If this isn't too intuitive for you then try a Google search for what you are after. If it were possible then there will be a device available to do it.
Look up Magnetohydrodynamics for a design of electricity generator. Spot the essential difference between that and your idea.

1. What is directional electron cloud?

Directional electron cloud refers to the distribution of electrons around an atom or molecule in a specific direction, resulting in the formation of a polar or non-polar bond.

2. How is directional electron cloud related to separating ions from free electrons?

Directional electron cloud plays a crucial role in separating ions from free electrons in a process known as ionization. The directional flow of electrons allows for the separation of positively charged ions from negatively charged electrons.

3. What methods are used to separate ions from free electrons?

The most common methods for separating ions from free electrons include electrical methods such as ionization by high voltage, chemical methods such as ionization by acids or bases, and thermal methods such as ionization by heat.

4. What are the applications of separating ions from free electrons?

The process of separating ions from free electrons has numerous applications in various fields such as mass spectrometry, gas chromatography, and particle accelerators. It is also used in industrial processes for the production of certain chemicals and materials.

5. What are the potential challenges in separating ions from free electrons?

One of the main challenges in separating ions from free electrons is the energy required to overcome the attractive forces between them. This can be overcome by using high voltage or thermal energy, but it can also lead to the production of unwanted byproducts. Another challenge is the separation of ions with similar masses, which requires more precise and specialized techniques.