Classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions

In summary: Is Hartree-Fock the only density functional theory?Thanks, though indeed more than I want to know. Is Hartree-Fock the only density functional theory?
feynman1
LJ potential is an empirical potential function used between 2 neutral atoms. Is there any classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions as well? Different from Coulomb potential, this one if any should be able to capture the mechanism of a valence electron leaving an atom and of preventing a valence electron from hitting a nucleus.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should simply be the shielded potential of the nucleus, as the electron is unbound and the direct potential term will dominate.

Likes feynman1
Thanks. How is shielded potential of the nucleus expressed?

feynman1 said:
Thanks. How is shielded potential of the nucleus expressed?
Why should the electron be prevented from "hitting" the nucleus?

nasu said:
Why should the electron be prevented from "hitting" the nucleus?
A valence one can at most stay on the outermost layer let alone hitting the centre.

feynman1 said:
A valence one can at most stay on the outermost layer let alone hitting the centre.
Have you ever seen an image of probability distribution for s-type orbitals? Electrons in atoms are described by quantum mechanics. They don't sit on layers like books in the library.

nasu said:
Have you ever seen an image of probability distribution for s-type orbitals? Electrons in atoms are described by quantum mechanics. They don't sit on layers like books in the library.
Yes. Any emperical potential (well) able to describe such s type 'bonding' between an electron and ion?

mfb said:
Thanks but I didn't find any help from there talking about any potential function

feynman1 said:
Yes. Any emperical potential (well) able to describe such s type 'bonding' between an electron and ion?
These are obtained by solving Schroedinger equation with Coulomb potential. Is done (for hydrogen atom) in introductory QM courses.

nasu said:
These are obtained by solving Schroedinger equation with Coulomb potential. Is done (for hydrogen atom) in introductory QM courses.
OK, I actually was looking for a potential that works in classical mechanics, namely some potential+'F=ma'

feynman1 said:
You do understand that it wasa atomic OK, I actually was looking for a potential that works in classical mechanics, namely some potential+'F=ma'
God luck with that...
You do understand that it was problems with atomic physics that precipitated the invention of Quantum Mechanics? The best you can do is some sort of mean firld theory (which is Hartree-Fock as I recall)

Likes Vanadium 50 and vanhees71
hutchphd said:
God luck with that...
You do understand that it was problems with atomic physics that precipitated the invention of Quantum Mechanics? The best you can do is some sort of mean firld theory (which is Hartree-Fock as I recall)
Yes I knew thanks. Wasn't looking for any precise QM theory.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions?

A classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions is a mathematical model that describes the interactions between electrons and ions in a material. It is based on classical mechanics and empirical data, and is used to calculate the forces between particles in a material.

2. How is a classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions created?

A classical/empirical potential is created by fitting a mathematical function to experimental data on the energies and positions of particles in a material. This function is then used to calculate the forces between particles in the material.

3. What are the advantages of using a classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions?

One advantage is that it is computationally efficient, making it suitable for large-scale simulations. It also allows for the study of complex materials and systems that cannot be easily described using quantum mechanics.

4. What are the limitations of a classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions?

One limitation is that it does not take into account quantum effects, such as electron tunneling and wave-like behavior. It also relies on empirical data, which may not accurately represent all materials and conditions.

5. How is a classical/empirical potential for electron-ion interactions validated?

A classical/empirical potential is typically validated by comparing its predictions to experimental data and/or more accurate quantum mechanical calculations. It is also continuously refined and improved as new data becomes available.