Directional Grooves on the Interior of Pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses a summer program called SHAD where high school students come together to solve world problems, specifically focusing on the theme of consumption this year. One group's idea is to create pipes with swirled grooves on the interior to reduce turbulence and energy loss. They have reached out to experts for guidance and are researching the impact of these grooves on energy losses and the Reynolds Number.
Jingie
Hey everyone! My name is Jing and I am participating in a one month summer program called SHAD where 800 high school students across Canada come together to try and solve some of the world's most multi-dimensional problems. One of the aspects of this program is the Entrepreneurial Project, where groups of SHAD participants innovate a solution to these kind of problems.

This year's theme is every consumption, and one of our group's ideas is to create a new type of pipes which has swirled grooves on the interior to better permit water flow and limit turbulence. A picture of the interior of a rifle is shown below to help illustrate what I am trying to convey:

url

My question is whether or not this is a feasible idea and if it can be effective in reducing energy losses in the water across long distances.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Attachments

• manassas-19-july-045.jpg
    manassas-19-july-045.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 431
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your thinking behind why the grooves will reduce the turbulence and energy loss?

Likes russ_watters
Drakkith said:
What is your thinking behind why the grooves will reduce the turbulence and energy loss?
Hey, thanks for replying to my thread.

Our thinking was that by giving water a guided path to flow along, there is a lower chance for flowing water to divert from a path parallel to the pipe and collide against the smooth interior surface of the pipe. Therefore with less collisions, more kinetic energy is preserved.

Jingie said:
Hey, thanks for replying to my thread.

Our thinking was that by giving water a guided path to flow along, there is a lower chance for flowing water to divert from a path parallel to the pipe and collide against the smooth interior surface of the pipe. Therefore with less collisions, more kinetic energy is preserved.
Ok, not bad - but have you looked into whether or not that is a significant source of energy loss for flow in pipes?

:welcome:

Not grooves, but this video http://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2014...p-plane.cnn/video/playlists/future-of-travel/ at 2:20 discusses fuel pipes with complex internal passages that guide the flow. I suggest that your team should try to contact G.E. Aircraft Engine Department for technical advice on your project. When I saw the video, I visualized a bundle of soda straws to replace a pipe with the diameter of the bundle. I'm sure it's not that simple, but "internal passages" sounds like such a bundle.

Good luck on your project.

russ_watters said:
Ok, not bad - but have you looked into whether or not that is a significant source of energy loss for flow in pipes?
Heya, thanks for replying.

It's definitely very important for our group to include the scale of the energy losses that can be achieved through this method. We haven't personally looked into the energy losses due to friction/turbulence in pipes yet, but we are in the process of contacting mechanical engineering and physics professors at our host university for guidance on involving fluids and energy losses.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Not grooves, but this video http://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2014...p-plane.cnn/video/playlists/future-of-travel/ at 2:20 discusses fuel pipes with complex internal passages that guide the flow. I suggest that your team should try to contact G.E. Aircraft Engine Department for technical advice on your project. When I saw the video, I visualized a bundle of soda straws to replace a pipe with the diameter of the bundle. I'm sure it's not that simple, but "internal passages" sounds like such a bundle.

Good luck on your project.
Thanks!

Jingie said:
Heya, thanks for replying.

It's definitely very important for our group to include the scale of the energy losses that can be achieved through this method. We haven't personally looked into the energy losses due to friction/turbulence in pipes yet, but we are in the process of contacting mechanical engineering and physics professors at our host university for guidance on involving fluids and energy losses.
This one should be pretty easy to find with google...

The Frictional force is given by Ff = μ" role="presentation" style="display: inline; line-height: normal; font-size: 13px; word-wrap: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); (251, 251, 255); position: relative;">μμ Fn
Thus you should verify that the force of friction is fairly substantially reduced.

Don't forget the Reynolds Number. That's perhaps the key measure in this research.

Sandman7 said:
The Frictional force is given by Ff = μ" role="presentation" style="display: inline; line-height: normal; font-size: 13px; word-wrap: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); (251, 251, 255); position: relative;">μμ Fn
Thus you should verify that the force of friction is fairly substantially reduced.

That equation is useless in fluids.

1. What are directional grooves on the interior of pipes?

Directional grooves on the interior of pipes are small, shallow channels or ridges that are carved or etched onto the inner surface of a pipe. These grooves are designed to guide the flow of fluid or gas through the pipe in a specific direction.

2. Why are directional grooves used in pipes?

Directional grooves are used in pipes to improve the efficiency and performance of fluid or gas flow. They help to reduce turbulence and resistance, which can increase the pressure and velocity of the flow. This can be especially useful in systems where there are changes in direction or flow rate.

3. How are directional grooves created in pipes?

Directional grooves can be created in pipes using various methods such as machining, etching, or casting. Machining involves using a cutting tool to carve grooves into the inner surface of the pipe. Etching involves using chemicals to remove material and create the grooves. Casting involves using a mold with grooves to create the pipe.

4. What are the benefits of using directional grooves in pipes?

There are several benefits of using directional grooves in pipes, including improved flow efficiency, reduced turbulence and resistance, and increased pressure and velocity of the flow. This can result in energy savings, reduced maintenance costs, and a longer lifespan for the pipe.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using directional grooves in pipes?

While directional grooves can offer many benefits, there are also potential disadvantages to consider. These may include higher manufacturing costs, increased risk of corrosion in the grooves, and potential clogging or build-up of debris in the grooves. It's important to carefully consider the specific application and consult with experts before implementing directional grooves.

Back