Discharge of a capacitor through a common ground

In summary, when a switch is opened, the capacitor charges up and then discharges to ground through a common ground. This can create a difference in potential between the positive plate and other components connected to the ground, which may flow current. If this happens, it may cause heating issues.
shlver
Let's say a switch causes a capacitor to charge and the switch opening causes the capacitor to discharge from its positive plate through a common ground to its negative plate. This common ground is connected to other components, if there is a difference in potential in other components to the positive plate tied to ground, will current flow? If so, will it cause heating issues? I've just started studying circuits a couple of months ago so I apologize if anything is unclear. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
shlver said:
Let's say a switch causes a capacitor to charge and the switch opening causes the capacitor to discharge from its positive plate through a common ground to its negative plate. This common ground is connected to other components, if there is a difference in potential in other components to the positive plate tied to ground, will current flow? If so, will it cause heating issues? I've just started studying circuits a couple of months ago so I apologize if anything is unclear. Thank you!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a sketch of the circuit you are asking about? That would make it easier for us to respond. Thanks.

I don't really have a schematic. It was just a random thought I had when I saw a two zener diodes like the one linked(Sorry it's not a complete circuit lol). When a switch was put into place the capacitor charged, and when the switch was open the capacitor was tied to ground to discharge to the negative plate. I was just wondering if there was a difference in potential between the positive plate and other components tied to the ground would current flow in those branches as well.
http://imgur.com/a/Xr93U

shlver said:
I don't really have a schematic. It was just a random thought I had when I saw a two zener diodes like the one linked(Sorry it's not a complete circuit lol). When a switch was put into place the capacitor charged, and when the switch was open the capacitor was tied to ground to discharge to the negative plate. I was just wondering if there was a difference in potential between the positive plate and other components tied to the ground would current flow in those branches as well.
http://imgur.com/a/Xr93U
There's no switch shown in the circuit, but if you are asking what happens when the cap is charged up and the charging voltage source is removed...

The capacitor charging voltage will be limited by the reverse Zener clamping voltage of the two Zener diodes. Once the voltage source is removed, the capacitor will discharge at a rate determined by the reverse leakage current of the Zener diodes. Does that help?

You could use Google Images to look for other circuits that may express your question better...

Yes that was very helpful. The explanation cleared up that my earlier thought was based on a faulty assumption about the operation of that circuit. I'll try to design a circuit that better expresses my question.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric charge and is commonly used in electronic circuits.

2. What does it mean to discharge a capacitor?

Discharging a capacitor means to release the stored electric charge that it has accumulated.

3. What is a common ground in electrical circuits?

A common ground is a reference point in an electrical circuit where all the different voltage levels are measured from. It is usually connected to the negative terminal of a power source.

4. Why is discharging a capacitor through a common ground important?

Discharging a capacitor through a common ground is important because it ensures that the capacitor is completely discharged and there is no residual charge left. This can prevent potential hazards and damage to the circuit.

5. How does discharging a capacitor through a common ground work?

When a capacitor is connected to a common ground, the stored electric charge will flow from the positive terminal of the capacitor to the negative terminal, effectively discharging it. The common ground provides a path for the charge to flow through and dissipate.