Discharging this capacitor in an RC bridge circuit

In summary, the voltage source in the circuit below has been switched on for a long time when the switch S switches off. How long will it take before the current coming out of the capacitor has become less than 1 mA?
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
Kirchoffs 2 laws
The voltage source in the circuit below has been switched on for a long time when the switch S switches off. How long will it take before the current coming out of the capacitor has become less than 1 mA?

Skärmavbild 2020-02-05 kl. 15.32.24.png

My attempt:
Bild1 (kopia).jpeg

bild2 (kopia).png

bild3 (kopia).jpeg

bild4 (kopia).jpeg

I am far from sure that my solution is correct. This is because i have never done any problem like this one before. I would be really happy if some smart person could review my solution.

Thanks in beforehand!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, There are two parts in your exercise:
one is to determine the voltage over the capacitor at the start of unloading
two is to determine how the discharge goes in time

For both you need quantitative information, which appears to be absent. Or does the composer of the exercise want you to provide a huge formula ? If the resistors are big enough, the current never exceeds 1 mA !

relevant equations: see below is meaningless: almost everything is 'below'.

Do you know about voltage dividers and parallel circuits of resistors ?

BvU said:
Hi, There are two parts in your exercise:
one is to determine the voltage over the capacitor at the start of unloading
two is to determine how the discharge goes in time

For both you need quantitative information, which appears to be absent. Or does the composer of the exercise want you to provide a huge formula ? If the resistors are big enough, the current never exceeds 1 mA !

relevant equations: see below is meaningless: almost everything is 'below'.

Do you know about voltage dividers and parallel circuits of resistors ?
Hi, I edited the thread. We are assuming that current from the capacitor at the start of discharge is at least 1mA

You could have solved it more quickly by looking at the steady state after the switch is closed. The currents through R1 , R3 and R2 , R4 become constant defining the voltage difference across the capacitor.

On the discharge The capacitor is shunted by R1+R3 in parallel with R2 + R4 .

Likes Merlin3189
You could have solved it more quickly by looking at the steady state after the switch is closed. The currents through R1 , R3 and R2 , R4 become constant defining the voltage difference across the capacitor.

Interesting, how would you do that? But is my solution correct?

Karl Karlsson said:
how would you do that?
In steady state the capacitor charge is constant, so no current in the wires connecting it. Easy to calculate the currents through the rest of the circuit and deduce the capacitor voltage.

After the switch has been closed for some time the capacitor is fully charged and the currents only pass through the resistors. Since R1,R3 and R2,R4 are connected in parallel you can easily determine the voltages at the positions where the capacitor is connected and determine the potential difference across the capacitor which is U(R3/(R1+R3) - R4/(R2+R4)) which you determined.

After the switch is opened the capacitor will discharge through the equivalent resistance of R1 +R3 in parallel with R2+R4, call it Req Using the discharge equation for a capacitor I =V/Reqe-t/ReqC with V = U(R3/(R1+R3) - R4/(R2+R4)) and Req =(R1+R3)(R2+R4)/(R1+R2+R3+R4).

Your express looks correct.

In steady state the capacitor charge is constant, so no current in the wires connecting it. Easy to calculate the currents through the rest of the circuit and deduce the capacitor voltage.
Did not think about that, thanks!
gleem said:
After the switch is opened the capacitor will discharge through the equivalent resistance of R1 +R3 in parallel with R2+R4, call it Req Using the discharge equation for a capacitor I =V/Reqe-t/ReqC with V = U(R3/(R1+R3) - R4/(R2+R4)) and Req =(R1+R3)(R2+R4)/(R1+R2+R3+R4).

Your express looks correct.

Hi gleem. I have only dealt with the discharge equation for series circuits. Is there any faster way to come up with the expression for that compared to what i did, some general formula for parallell circuits?

You have two things connected. They appears to be in parallel but they are also in series too. The current runs through the resistors to discharge the capacitor. The resistors are in fact in series with the capacitor.

I am surprised that no one has said the magic phrase "Thevenin Equivalent Circuit" here. The "ports" of the circuit are taken at the connection to the capacitor and then the circuit replaced by a RThevenin and VThevenin in series for final analysis.
I believe this provides a more general and direct method of attack, although the algebra will of course end up looking similar.

Karl Karlsson said:
Hi, I edited the thread. We are assuming that current from the capacitor at the start of discharge is at least 1mA
That adresses one question. Did you ignore the others on purpose ?

Do you see the two voltage dividers sitting there when C is fully loaded ?
Do you see the two parallel paths when C unloads ?

1. How do I discharge a capacitor in an RC bridge circuit?

To discharge a capacitor in an RC bridge circuit, you can either short circuit it or connect a resistor across its terminals. This will allow the stored charge to flow through the circuit and dissipate.

2. Why is it important to discharge a capacitor in an RC bridge circuit?

Discharging a capacitor in an RC bridge circuit is important because it ensures the safety of the circuit and prevents any potential damage. A charged capacitor can cause electric shocks and damage to other components if not properly discharged.

3. How long does it take for a capacitor to discharge in an RC bridge circuit?

The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge in an RC bridge circuit depends on the capacitance of the capacitor and the resistance of the circuit. It can range from a few milliseconds to several seconds.

4. Can a capacitor discharge on its own in an RC bridge circuit?

Yes, a capacitor can discharge on its own in an RC bridge circuit if there is a path for the stored charge to flow. This can happen through leakage currents or through the circuit itself.

5. How can I test if a capacitor is fully discharged in an RC bridge circuit?

You can use a multimeter to test if a capacitor is fully discharged in an RC bridge circuit. Set the multimeter to the resistance or continuity setting and touch the probes to the capacitor's terminals. If there is no resistance or continuity reading, the capacitor is fully discharged.