Discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum

In summary, although the sections look okay on the whole, there are a few discontinuities in the bottom that seem wrong. I'm generating poincare sections of a double pendulum, and they mostly look okay, but some of them have weird discontinuities that seem wrong. The condition for these sections is the standard ##\theta_1 = 0## and ##\dot{\theta}_1 > 0##. Looking at one of the maps, we see that most of the sections look fine, but there are some weird intersections in the bottom: If we look at just one of these sections, we see that the top part is being flipped upside down: Indeed, if we just multiply the bottom bit by
eddy_purcell
I'm generating poincare sections of a double pendulum, and they mostly look okay, but some of them have weird discontinuities that seem wrong.
The condition for these sections is the standard ##\theta_1 = 0## and ##\dot{\theta}_1 > 0##. Looking at one of the maps, we see that most of the sections look fine, but there are some weird intersections in the bottom:
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.47.32 AM.png
If we look at just one of these sections, we see that the top part is being flipped upside down:

Indeed, if we just multiply the bottom bit by ##−1##, it looks just fine:

This is weird, right? None of the analogous plots I've seen in the literature look like this; they all have symmetric limits along the vertical axis.

The fact that the other sections seem fine makes me think that I transposed the equations correctly, but this problem has been extremely frustrating to diagnose. I've been able to figure out that all of the affected sections are those whose initial condition required ##\dot{\theta}_1<0## in order to get a condition with the correct total energy, but I have no idea why that would make them look like this.

Any ideas about what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it's happening at ##\dot\theta=\pi##. My guess would be that one of your inverse trig functions believes in angles in the range ##-\pi \rightarrow \pi##, while you believe them to lie in ##0\rightarrow 2\pi##.

Ibix said:
Looks like it's happening at ##\dot\theta=\pi##. My guess would be that one of your inverse trig functions believes in angles in the range ##-\pi \rightarrow \pi##, while you believe them to lie in ##0\rightarrow 2\pi##.
Interesting idea, and I'll look into it, but I think that that was just a coincidence. Taking another one of the problematic sections, we see that it occurs lower down:

1. What are discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum?

Discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum refer to sudden changes or breaks in the trajectory of the pendulum's motion. These occur when the pendulum reaches a point where it cannot continue its motion due to physical constraints or external forces.

2. What causes discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum?

Discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in the pendulum's initial conditions, external disturbances, and the pendulum reaching a critical point where it can no longer maintain its motion.

3. How do discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum affect its behavior?

Discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum can significantly impact the pendulum's behavior. They can cause the pendulum to abruptly change direction, stop its motion, or enter a state of chaotic behavior. These discontinuities can also affect the overall stability and predictability of the pendulum's motion.

4. Can discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum be avoided?

While it is not always possible to avoid discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum, they can be minimized by carefully controlling the pendulum's initial conditions and reducing external disturbances. Additionally, using advanced mathematical techniques and tools can help to identify and predict potential discontinuities.

5. How do scientists study discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical analysis, computer simulations, and physical experiments to study discontinuities in a Poincare map for a double pendulum. They also use mathematical models and advanced data analysis techniques to gain a better understanding of the underlying dynamics and behavior of the pendulum in different scenarios.