Massive spin-s representations of the Poincare group

In summary, the conversation is about realizing the irreducible massive representations of the Poincare group as spin tensor fields which transform under certain representations of the homogeneous Lorentz group and are subject to some supplementary conditions. The conversation also discusses a one-to-one map that acts on elements of the spin tensor field space and the proof that the result is totally symmetric in its undotted indices. The speaker also thanks the other person for their reply and asks if they can contact them personally for further questions.
pondzo
Context

The following is from the book "Ideas and methods in supersymmetry and supergravity" by I.L. Buchbinder and S.M Kuzenko, pg 56-60. It is about realizing the irreducible massive representations of the Poincare group as spin tensor fields which transform under certain representations of the homogeneous Lorentz group and are subject to some supplementary conditions.

Consider the linear space ##\mathcal{H}_{(A,B)}## of ##(A/2,B/2)## type spin tensor fields ##\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)## totally symmetric in their A undotted indices and independently in their B dotted indices, with ##A+B=2s## and which satisfy the following supplementary conditions:
$$\begin{cases}\partial^{\dot{\alpha}\alpha}\Phi_{\alpha\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_{A-1}\dot{\alpha}\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_{B-1}}(x)=0 && (1)\\ (\partial^a\partial_a-m^2)\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)=0&&(2)\end{cases}$$
Here ##\partial_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}}=(\sigma^a)_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}}\partial_a## and ##\partial^{\dot{\alpha}\alpha}=(\tilde{\sigma}^a)^{\dot{\alpha}\alpha}\partial_a=\varepsilon^{\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta}}\varepsilon^{\alpha\beta}(\sigma^a)_{\beta\dot{\beta}}\partial_a##, ##\sigma^a=(\text{Id},\vec{\sigma})## and ## \tilde{\sigma}^a=(\text{Id},-\vec{\sigma}).## My metric convention is ##\eta_{ab}=\text{Diag}(-1,1,1,1)##, spinor indices are greek letters whilst Lorentz indices are Latin.

Consider the following one-to-one map:
$$\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~~\dot{\alpha}_B}: \mathcal{H}_{(A,B)}\rightarrow \mathcal{H}_{(A+1,B-1)}$$
$$\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\alpha_{A+1}\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_{B-1}}(x):=\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha}_B}\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x) ~~\text{ where }~~ \Delta_{\alpha_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha_B}}=\frac{1}{m}\partial_{\alpha_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha_B}}$$
The map is one-to-one because it can be shown, using the mass shell condition (1), that it has an inverse defined by ##\Delta_{\alpha}^{~~\dot{\alpha}}\Delta^{\beta}_{~~\dot{\alpha}}=\delta_{\alpha}^{\beta}##. Although for the purpose of this thread it is not necessary to look at the inverse map.

Question

To me, it is not obvious that after we have acted on an element of ##\mathcal{H}_{(A,B)}## with ##\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~~\dot{\alpha}_B}##, the result is totally symmetric in its undotted indices, including the additional one created through the map. However, this is a claim of the author's. So I would like to prove the following:
$$\Delta_{({\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha}_B}\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A)\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)=\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha}_B}\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)$$

Attempt

I'm almost certain that the result should follow from supplementary condition (2) (which is sometimes reffered to as the 'spin selection' condition) along with the fact that ##\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)## is totally symmetric in its undotted indices. However, again, it isn't at all obvious as to why.

To gain some intuition for the problem I tried a simple case:
$$\Delta_{\gamma}^{~~\dot{\beta}}:\mathcal{H}_{(2,2)}\rightarrow \mathcal{H}_{(3,1)}$$
$$X_{\alpha\beta\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta}}\rightarrow X_{\alpha\beta\gamma\dot{\alpha}}:=\Delta_{\gamma}^{~~\dot{\beta}}X_{\alpha\beta\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta}} ~~\text{ where } X_{(\alpha\beta)(\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta})}=X_{\alpha\beta\dot{\alpha}\dot{\beta}}$$

The aim of this intuitive exercise would then be to show that ##X_{\alpha\beta\gamma\dot{\alpha}}=X_{\gamma\beta\alpha\dot{\alpha}}##, for example.

If I explicitly plug in some numbers for the indices, I can see that, for example, the case ##(\alpha=1,\gamma=2)## is equal to the case ##(\alpha=2,\gamma=1)## as a result of supplementary condition (2). However I am struggling to generalize this and am certainly not content with leaving the argument here. Does anyone have a suggestion or hint for me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:
Question
To me, it is not obvious that after we have acted on an element of ##\mathcal{H}_{(A,B)}## with ##\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~~\dot{\alpha}_B}##, the result is totally symmetric in its undotted indices, including the additional one created through the map. However, this is a claim of the author's. So I would like to prove the following:
$$\Delta_{({\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha}_B}\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A)\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)=\Delta_{{\alpha}_{A+1}}^{~~\dot{\alpha}_B}\Phi_{\alpha_1\cdots\alpha_A\dot{\alpha}_1\cdots\dot{\alpha}_B}(x)$$
Thank you.
There is no case to answer! You have already said that the map [tex]\Delta : \mathcal{H}^{(A,B)} \to \mathcal{H}^{(A+1,B -1)} ,[/tex] is 1-to-1. So, the elements of [itex]\mathcal{H}^{(A+1, B - 1)}[/itex] are (by definition) symmetric in their [itex](A+1)[/itex] undotted indices and independently in their [itex](B - 1)[/itex] dotted indices. Plus, if you apply the operator [itex]\Delta \ [/itex] [itex]B[/itex]-time, you end up in [itex]\mathcal{H}^{(A+B , 0)} \equiv \mathcal{H}^{(2s , 0)}[/itex] whose elements [itex]\psi_{\alpha_{1} \cdots \alpha_{2s}} = \psi_{(\alpha_{1} \cdots \alpha_{2s})}[/itex] (therefore) have [itex](2s + 1)[/itex] independent components. This simply means (for [itex]m \neq 0[/itex]) that the spaces [tex]\mathcal{H}^{(A+B , 0)}, \ \mathcal{H}^{(A+B -1 , 1)}, \cdots , \mathcal{H}^{(0 , A+B)} ,[/tex] are equivalent representation spaces for the Poincare’ group, as they all describe massive spin-[itex]s( = \frac{A+B}{2})[/itex] field with [itex]2s+1[/itex] independent components.

You can also convince yourself by going to a rest frame in momentum space where your operator [itex]\Delta = P[/itex] simply becomes [itex]m \delta[/itex]:

[tex]

P^{\dot{\alpha}_{B}}_{\alpha_{A+1}} \psi_{\alpha_{1}\cdots \alpha_{A}\dot{\alpha}_{1}\cdots \dot{\alpha}_{B}} = m \delta^{\dot{\alpha}_{B}}_{\alpha_{A+1}} \psi_{\alpha_{1}\cdots \alpha_{A}\dot{\alpha}_{1}\cdots \dot{\alpha}_{B}} = m \psi_{\alpha_{1} \cdots \alpha_{A+1}\dot{\alpha}_{1} \cdots \dot{\alpha}_{B-1}} \in \mathcal{H}^{(A+1,B -1)} .

[/tex]

1. What is the Poincare group?

The Poincare group is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of the special theory of relativity. It includes all possible translations, rotations, and boosts in space and time.

2. What are massive spin-s representations?

Massive spin-s representations are a way of categorizing particles based on their spin (intrinsic angular momentum) and mass. They are described by the Poincare group and can be used to classify and group particles in physics theories.

3. How are massive spin-s representations related to the Poincare group?

The Poincare group describes the symmetries of special relativity, and massive spin-s representations are a way of organizing and categorizing these symmetries. Essentially, the Poincare group provides the framework for understanding massive spin-s representations.

4. What is the significance of massive spin-s representations in physics?

Massive spin-s representations play a crucial role in particle physics as they help us understand the properties and behavior of particles. They also provide a framework for developing theories and models that can accurately describe and predict physical phenomena.

5. Are there any known particles that fit into massive spin-s representations?

Yes, there are many particles that have been classified using massive spin-s representations. Examples include the electron, proton, and neutron, which all have spin-1/2 and are classified as fermions. There are also particles with higher spin values, such as the photon (spin-1) and graviton (spin-2).