Discover the Fascinating Relationship Between Moon Gravity and Vacuum in Space

In summary, the moons gravity is one sixth that of Earth's and if you could jump 12" off the ground on Earth, it would be 72" on the moon. In a vacuum, a feather and a kilo weight would reach the ground at the same time. The absence of air resistance has no significant impact on how high you can jump, but can affect the trajectory of thrown objects. The dust from the lunar module on Apollo missions appeared to act in Earth's gravity, but this was due to the difficulty in accurately perceiving motion on the moon. The vacuum does not counter the moon's gravity and it is possible to jump higher than 6x on the moon, depending on factors such as muscle strength and leg length
earl tasylor
I read on the net that the moons gravity is one sixth that of Earth's so if I could jump 12" off the ground on Earth it would be 72" on the moon.

I also see (you tube) that in a vacuum (akin to the moons surface) if you drop a feather and kilo weight simultaneously they reach the ground at the same time.

Does the vacuum have any effect on the first paragrap. If you're jumping through a vacuum could you jump higher as there is less resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
earl tasylor said:
I read on the net that the moons gravity is one sixth that of Earth's so if I could jump 12" off the ground on Earth it would be 72" on the moon.

I also see (you tube) that in a vacuum (akin to the moons surface) if you drop a feather and kilo weight simultaneously they reach the ground at the same time.

Does the vacuum have any effect on the first paragrap. If you're jumping through a vacuum could you jump higher as there is less resistance.
Air resistance is largely irrelevant in this case.
So no, the vacuum(or the absence of air resistance) has no significant impact on how high you can jump.
When throwing a ball you could expect a decent difference.

Tazerfish said:
Air resistance is largely irrelevant in this case.
So no, the vacuum(or the absence of air resistance) has no significant impact on how high you can jump.
When throwing a ball you could expect a decent difference.
On that basis you could expect to jump higher, if not 6x then maybe 2-3x for example.

Moving on. The dust from the tyres of the lunar module on Apollo missions seemed to act in Earth's gravity. If a vacuum isn't countering the moon gravity why does the dust thrown from the tyres act this way.

earl tasylor said:

That is probably an underestimate. The limiting factor would be the velocity-force relationship of the muscles, but there is no obvious reason why the limit should be 6x. See this previous thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ump-21-times-higher-than-on-the-earth.774140/

Likes jbriggs444
earl tasylor said:
On that basis you could expect to jump higher, if not 6x then maybe 2-3x for example.

Moving on. The dust from the tyres of the lunar module on Apollo missions seemed to act in Earth's gravity. If a vacuum isn't countering the moon gravity why does the dust thrown from the tyres act this way.
What do you mean by "the vacuum countering the moon gravity" ?
The vacuum has no such effect on gravity. You probably misunderstood some basic physics. Maybe you can explain a little more.

earl tasylor said:
This has been discussed at length in several past threads. It's hard to make a good prediction because (at least in my opinion) the speed that your legs can actually push your feet downward is limited by leg length and their actual mass (moment of inertia). I have a feeling that one could do a pretty valid experiment using a bungee cord from a high suspension point which is pulling you upwards enough to remove 5/6 of your weight. So you would be accelerating your full mass against 1/6 of your weight. The lift force from the bungee would not change noticeably if the cord is a few tens of m long (negligible fractional change in length).
I suggest that you could do better if you used 'blades' (as used by amputees ) of an appropriate length and stiffness to match your muscles better to the changed requirements.

earl tasylor said:
The dust from the tyres of the lunar module on Apollo missions seemed to act in Earth's gravity
You don't mean that, do you? It would go upwards, towards the Earth if it were. The motion of the dust appeared fairly fast but we were visually comparing it with the behaviour of dust through air on Earth. It is easy to make assumptions about what you see under such strange conditions. Everything in those videos of life on the Moon had a slo-mo look about it because of the difficulty in walking normally and it seriously affected our impressions of the dynamics up there. I am more prepared to go with the theory, actually and ignore what I thought I saw.

1. How does the moon's gravity affect objects in space?

The moon's gravity is much weaker than Earth's, so objects in space are affected differently. While Earth's gravity can hold objects in orbit, the moon's gravity is not strong enough to do so. However, the moon's gravity can still cause objects to be pulled towards it, creating tidal forces on Earth and affecting the orbits of other celestial bodies.

2. Is there gravity in space?

Yes, there is gravity in space. Gravity is a fundamental force of the universe and it exists everywhere, including in space. However, the strength of gravity varies depending on the mass and distance between objects.

3. How does vacuum affect gravity in space?

In a vacuum, such as in outer space, the effect of gravity is not hindered. Gravity is a force between objects that is not dependent on the presence of air or any other medium. In fact, the vacuum of space allows gravity to act over larger distances without interference.

4. Can astronauts feel the moon's gravity in space?

Yes, astronauts can feel the moon's gravity in space. While the moon's gravity is much weaker than Earth's, it still exerts a force on objects in its vicinity. Astronauts in orbit around the moon will experience a sense of weightlessness, but they will still be affected by the moon's gravity.

5. How does gravity on the moon compare to Earth's gravity?

The moon's gravity is about one-sixth of Earth's gravity. This means that objects on the moon will weigh much less than they do on Earth. For example, a person who weighs 180 pounds on Earth would only weigh 30 pounds on the moon. This is due to the moon's smaller mass and lower density.