Discover the Game Champion: 115 Kids Tournament

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Kids
In summary, the conversation discusses organizing a tournament for a board game that can be played with 3, 4, 5, or 6 players. The goal is to determine the optimal number of players and the number of rounds that must be played to determine the champion. It is determined that the number of players should be 5, as it is the only number that divides 115 (the number of children participating). This means that there will be 23 rounds played. The group then discusses using graphs to solve the second subquestion. The conversation ends with the consideration of having 1 winner at the end and the possibility of having 21 or 25 players in the second to last round if the final round has 5 players
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wasntme)

I am looking at this exercise:

A board game can be played with $3,4,5 \text{ or } 6$ players.
There is a winner at each round of the game.
A group of $115$ children decides to organize a tournament of this game,for the emergence of the champion of the game,so that at each round participates the same number of children $n \in \{ 3,4,5,6\}$ and the total number of rounds that will be played is the minimum.Which must be $n$ and how many rounds will be played?I thought that $n$ must be $5$,because that is the only number of the possible $n$s that divides $115$,is it right?

And because of the fact that $115=5 \cdot 23$, $23$ rounds will be played.. Or am I wrong??

Could I solve the second subquestion,using graphs? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Wasntme)

evinda said:
And because of the fact that $115=5 \cdot 23$, $23$ rounds will be played.. Or am I wrong??

That leaves you with 23 contestants.
How will they play to get 1 winner? (Thinking)
Could I solve the second subquestion,using graphs? :confused:

Sounds like a plan!

We must have 1 winner at the end.
If we play with $n=5$, we must have had $5$ players in the last round.
In the round before that, we might have had $25$ players... but we might also have $21$ players... (Thinking)

1. What is "Discover the Game Champion: 115 Kids Tournament"?

"Discover the Game Champion: 115 Kids Tournament" is a science and technology competition designed for kids aged 8-15 years old. It aims to promote interest in STEM fields and provide a platform for young minds to showcase their skills and knowledge.

2. How can my child participate in the tournament?

To participate in the tournament, your child would need to register online through the official website. They can either register as a team or as an individual. The registration process will involve submitting a project proposal and completing a registration form.

3. What kind of projects are eligible for the tournament?

The tournament welcomes a wide range of projects related to science, technology, engineering, and math. Some examples include robotics, coding, environmental science, and renewable energy. The project should be original and demonstrate creativity and scientific thinking.

4. Who will be judging the projects?

A panel of expert judges from various STEM fields will evaluate and score the projects. They will assess the project's scientific content, creativity, and presentation. The judges' decision will be final, and no appeals will be accepted.

5. What are the prizes for the winners?

The top three winners of the tournament will receive cash prizes along with certificates and trophies. There will also be special recognition prizes for exceptional projects. Additionally, the winners will have the opportunity to present their projects at a science and technology conference.