Discovering Prime Numbers & Riemann's Zeta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on the Distribution of Prime Numbers and Riemann's Zeta Function. The person asking for recommendations has knowledge of the "classical" books on the topic but is looking for a more modern and less complicated introduction. The expert recommends three books that are more elementary than the "classical" ones but require some prior knowledge of basic real and complex analysis. The person expresses interest in Jameson's book as an introductory option.
Karlx
Hi everybody.
I would like to find a book about the Distribution of Prime Numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function.

I know about the "classical" books:

1) Titchmarsh's "The Theory of the Riemann Zeta-Function"
2) Ingham's "The Distribution of Prime Numbers"
3) Ivic's "The Riemann Zeta-Function:Theory and Applications"

but I don't know it they are too much complicated or whether there is a much "modern" book that could serve as an introduction.

I've read the book "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire, that is an excellent "expository/divulgatory" book about prime numbers and Riemann's Zeta-Function.
I recommend it very much.
But now I would like to go deeper about the matter.
Which book do you recommend me ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks a lot, Petek.
At first glance, Jameson's book seems to me a good choice as an elementary first introduction to the matter.
And Fine and Rosenberger's one seems interesting too.
Apostol appears to me as the more technical of three.

Thanks again.

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has exactly two distinct factors, making it a fundamental building block of the natural numbers.

2. How are prime numbers discovered?

Prime numbers are discovered through a process called prime factorization, which involves finding the prime factors of a given number. This can be done using various methods such as trial division, sieving, or more advanced algorithms like the Sieve of Eratosthenes.

3. What is the Riemann's Zeta Function?

The Riemann's Zeta Function is a mathematical function that plays a crucial role in the study of prime numbers. It is defined as the infinite series 1 + 1/2^s + 1/3^s + 1/4^s + ..., where s is a complex variable. It has many important applications in number theory, including the study of prime number distribution.

4. What is the connection between prime numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function?

The connection between prime numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function is through the famous Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Zeta Function lie on the critical line s = 1/2. This hypothesis has significant implications for the distribution of prime numbers, but it has yet to be proven.

5. How does the discovery of prime numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function impact the world?

The discovery of prime numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function has had a profound impact on various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis. It has also led to the development of new cryptographic methods, which have important applications in computer science and data security. Furthermore, the exploration of prime numbers and the Riemann's Zeta Function continues to inspire new mathematical discoveries and advancements.