Discrete Math: Poset Characteristics and Minimum Element Count

In summary, a poset is a partially ordered set with two maximal and two minimal elements. It can have infimum and supremum, and a set with no supremum is a poset as well.
tawi

Homework Statement

My task is to find out what is the lowest # of elements a poset can have with the following characteristics. If such a set exists I should show it and if it doesn't I must prove it.

1) has infimum of all its subsets, but there is a subset with no supremum
2) has two maximal and two minimaln elements
3) has two greatest elements
4) has one minimal but no least element

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
2) should be easy. We can just take Hasse diagram for divides relation of the set
{3,5} and we get two maximal and two minimal elements.

3) should be impossible since greatest/least element can only be one.

4) seems like it should be impossible (at least in fininte sets) as well even though I am not sure on this one

1) Again, if we take divides relation on the set {1,2,3} then 1 is the lower bound of all the subsets.
On the other hand the subset {2,3} does not have upper bound because the least upper bound is 6. But 6 is not in our original set.

Does that seem alright and is 3 the least number of elements a set satisfying this can have?
And what about the other way around? Is there a set that has upper bounds of all its subsets but there is a subset with no lower bound?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain what a poset is and which kind of ordering you assume? Of course can there be more than one "greatest" element.
E.g. 2ℤ ⊃ 4ℤ ⊃ 8ℤ ⊃ 16ℤ ⊃ ... and 3ℤ ⊃ 6ℤ ⊃ 12ℤ ⊃ 36ℤ ⊃ ... and both 2ℤ and 3ℤ are maximal.

Well "poset" as partially ordered set. What kind of ordering am I assuming? That is up to me, my task is to find out whether such a set exists and if so, what is the least amount of elements it can have.

Let's light another candle: What's a great element and how it differs from a maximal element? Same with least and minimal? I assume infimum and supremum are related to the partial order ⊆ since you use it in connection with subsets. But if so, then your general set you started with is always a supremum and the empty set an infimum. But then you require a subset without supremum but a maximal element. I'm confused.

I agree with your answers on 1, 2, and 3. Can you prove 3 is the least number in q1?
I believe 4 is possible with a countably infinite set. Try to prove it is not possible with a finite set.

1. What is a poset?

A poset, short for partially ordered set, is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary relation that defines a partial order among the elements. In simpler terms, it is a collection of items with a defined way of comparing them.

2. What is the difference between a total order and a partial order?

A total order is a type of partial order where all elements can be compared to each other. In a total order, every pair of elements must have a defined relationship, either one is greater than, less than, or equal to the other. In a partial order, not all elements have to be comparable.

3. How are posets represented?

Posets are typically represented using a Hasse diagram, which is a visual representation of the elements and their relationships. The elements are represented as nodes, and the binary relation is represented as directed edges connecting the nodes.

4. What is a maximal element in a poset?

A maximal element in a poset is an element that is not smaller than any other element in the poset. In other words, there is no element in the poset that is greater than the maximal element. Similarly, a minimal element is an element that is not larger than any other element in the poset.

5. How is a poset useful in computer science?

Posets have many applications in computer science, including in the design and analysis of algorithms, database systems, and programming languages. They can be used to model and solve problems related to ordering and ranking, such as scheduling tasks or determining the sequence of instructions in a program.