Can the empty set be used to satisfy inf(B) ≥ sup(B)?

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the infimum and supremum of a subset S of a partially ordered set T are defined as the greatest lower bound and least upper bound, respectively. This means that the infimum is the greatest element in T that is less than or equal to all elements of S, and the supremum is the least element in T that is greater than or equal to all elements of S. It is possible for the infimum to be greater than or equal to the supremum, as demonstrated by the example sets of the empty set and {4}.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find an example set, B where inf B ≥ sup B.

Homework Equations

For reference, the definitions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infimum_and_supremum :
"In mathematics, the infimum (abbreviated inf; plural infima) of a subset S of a partially ordered set T is the greatest element in T that is less than or equal to all elements of S, if such an element exists. Consequently, the term greatest lower bound (abbreviated as GLB) is also commonly used.

The supremum (abbreviated sup; plural suprema) of a subset S of a partially ordered set T is the least element in T that is greater than or equal to all elements of S, if such an element exists. Consequently, the supremum is also referred to as the least upper bound (or LUB)."

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been reading that if we take the empty set we find that inf(empty set) = ∞ and suprema(empty set) = -∞.

While this is not intuitive, it makes sense after some observations.

If I define my set as the empty set, I have suceeded in finding a set where inf B ≥ sup B.

Correct?

Outside of this, I would think if I had the set B = {4} that the inf(B) = 4 and sup(B) = 4. Thus, inf B ≥ sup B. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is correct. The reason is that every statement about the elements of the empty set is true. In this case all numbers are upper and lower bounds for them, or as I like to say: the elements of the empty set have purple eyes. Your statement about ##\{4\}## is trivially true as well.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent, I thank you.

1. What is the meaning of "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)" in a set?

The notation "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)" in a set means that the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the set is greater than or equal to the supremum (least upper bound) of the set. In other words, there is no element in the set that is smaller than the smallest element and no element that is larger than the largest element.

2. Can a set have both inf(B) and sup(B)?

Yes, a set can have both inf(B) and sup(B). In fact, if a set has finite bounds, then it will have both an infimum and a supremum. However, if a set is unbounded, it may not have an infimum or a supremum.

3. What is the relationship between inf(B) and sup(B) in a set?

The relationship between inf(B) and sup(B) in a set is that the infimum is always less than or equal to the supremum. In other words, the smallest element in a set will always be smaller than or equal to the largest element in that set.

4. How is "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)" different from "inf(B) > sup(B)"?

The notation "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)" means that the infimum is greater than or equal to the supremum, while "inf(B) > sup(B)" means that the infimum is strictly greater than the supremum. In other words, there is at least one element in the set that is smaller than the smallest element and at least one element that is larger than the largest element.

5. What does it mean for a set to have "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)"?

When a set has "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)", it means that the set is either empty or has a single element. This is because in a non-empty set with more than one element, the infimum will always be less than the supremum. So, "inf(B) ≥ sup(B)" is a way of expressing that the set is either empty or has only one element.