Discussions with non-physicists

• Thread starter MHuiq
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the frustration of discussing scientific concepts with non-physicists and the tendency for arguments to arise. The speaker shares some personal experiences of discussions with friends and colleagues in fields such as psychology and theology. They also express admiration for public figures who are able to communicate scientific concepts effectively to a wider audience.
MHuiq
I thought I'd let my first post be a non-physics one. It's a long one, sorry for that ;).

I wonder how often you guys run into heated arguments with non-phycists. I sometimes get a bit annoyed when another person is unable to follow my arguments.

For example some time ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine, she studies psychology. It was about free will and I was trying to make a point that hypothetically one could say we don't have free will. I tried making her understand the idea that if we would be able to know all forces and positions of the particles we could calculate the future and so therefore it was already laid out for us. (Off course ignoring Quantum Physics to ease the discussion.)

However! The only argument I got back from her was: "If you want to change, your brain changes in structure eventually and that is measurable by MRI." So off course I answered that also those changes in your brain are already laid down in the physics and are inevitable (hypothetically), but she again responded, "no that can't be true since I learned otherwise at my studies. If you want to change, you're brain changes too so the initial structure is not laid down. So you have free will." It kind of continued from thereon until I was annoyed and she was too.

The funniest thing I once heard from another psychology student was: "You can't apply statistics to individuals!" So I asked, "So if 90% of the workers in a factory has little education, then if I take one individual out of the group there must be 90% chance that this individual has little education." I got the response: "You are wrong, you can ask your statistics professor, this is what I learned and I studied really hard for the statistics exam. You can't apply statistics to individuals." (Off course she was confusing a whole different thing here. I guess she learned you can't say someone has 90% Alzheimer, but a 90% chance of developing it and even then the person will eventually have it or not. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that when you consider a group you don't know the individual differences so that some in the group will develop Alzheimer for sure and some will not.)

I've run into these kind of discussions more often and while these examples are not of particular importance to everyday life some of them are and I can be amazed how weird and sometimes frustrating the logic of some non-physicists/mathematicians can be. (Don't even ask me about the time I had a discussion with a theology student.)

Does this sound familiar to you guys, or am I just too stubborn to even try haha? It's just that I sometimes am bazzled by the way people think, even if they are otherwise smart individuals. The girl from the last example has an IQ over 130 apparently. But then again, psychologists invented that too.

(And if I seem arrogant, well.., I will admit I have had plenty of good and valuable discussions with similar people too.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

In general, this forum is here to help students with homework and to discuss various topics in Physics, Math and Science. We tend not to waste time on arguing with people or in discussing the frequency of arguments we have.

If you're interested in Physics then open a thread about your question or interest and let's go from there.

Likes 1 person
I know so little about the world, I try not to speak with authority on anything that is not in my small area of expertise.

Yes, it's frustrating, but we can't fix them, so we have to fix us. I'd say get off the high horse a bit, and take as your model the brilliant Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who is a perfect model for how a scientifically literate person behaves in a scientifically illiterate world, with charm and diplomacy and humility and humor. I try my best to emulate him, given my limited intelligence and wit.

-Dave K

Hi jedishrfu, I understand that. I registered here for the physics discussions, but this was something that popped into my mind and that's why I put it in the General Discussion forum. I hope that's fine.

I agree one should be careful not to speak with authority about areas outside of your expertise, but I also think you shouldn't be afraid to draw parallels or to generalize into different areas. I think physics is just right for that. I wouldn't very quickly tell a doctor however how to operate on my leg!

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

In general, this forum is here to help students with homework and to discuss various topics in Physics, Math and Science. We tend not to waste time on arguing with people or in discussing the frequency of arguments we have.

If you're interested in Physics then open a thread about your question or interest and let's go from there.

I think that learning how to relate and communicate to people outside the sciences (or in other sciences) is a legitimate topic, even if it involves a few semi-rants and aired grievances.

-Dave K

MHuiq, welcome, but please read our rules before posting. Some individual sub-forums have additional rules, you will find these "pinned" at the top of the sub-forums. Also, philosophical discussions, such as your first example, are no longer allowed here as they are pointless and often become overly speculative. Just a friendly heads up.

Last edited:
MHuiq said:
For example some time ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine, she studies psychology. It was about free will and I was trying to make a point that hypothetically one could say we don't have free will. I tried making her understand the idea that if we would be able to know all forces and positions of the particles we could calculate the future and so therefore it was already laid out for us. (Off course ignoring Quantum Physics to ease the discussion.)

However! The only argument I got back from her was: "If you want to change, your brain changes in structure eventually and that is measurable by MRI." So off course I answered that also those changes in your brain are already laid down in the physics and are inevitable (hypothetically), but she again responded, "no that can't be true since I learned otherwise at my studies. If you want to change, you're brain changes too so the initial structure is not laid down. So you have free will." It kind of continued from thereon until I was annoyed and she was too.
Why were you arguing with someone whom you believe has no free will to change? Seems ironic.

@Evo, I didn't think it would be against the rules, since this is the general discussion forum, but apparently I was wrong.

@zoobyshoe The point was not about whether or not you have free will, but about getting the argument across.

Anyhow, I am already starting to regret having opened this topic. It guess everybody thinks differently about these things. For me it can sometimes be frustrating though, but that's me. I opened this topic because I was interested in your opinions on the matter. And if you don't agree with me that's fine with me too.

Have a nice day anyway! you can close this topic if you want

MHuiq said:
@Evo, I didn't think it would be against the rules, since this is the general discussion forum, but apparently I was wrong.
Forum rules apply to General Discussion, the only difference is that non-science topics can also be discussed. You didn't break any rules, if you had, you would have received a notice.

You'll find that although our members tend to be smarter and/or more educated than the average person, they don't brag about it or come across as superior or condescending. I think what members are trying to get across to you is that it's the quality (knowledge) that is shown by the content you post that matters, saying you are smarter than others doesn't mean anything. :smile:

ZombieFeynman said:
I know so little about the world, I try not to speak with authority on anything that is not in my small area of expertise.

So true...

1. What is the purpose of having discussions with non-physicists?

The purpose of having discussions with non-physicists is to bridge the gap between the scientific community and the general public. It allows for the dissemination of scientific knowledge and helps to promote understanding and appreciation for physics and its applications in everyday life.

2. How can I effectively communicate complex physics concepts to non-physicists?

When discussing physics with non-physicists, it is important to use language that is easily understood and relatable. Analogies and real-life examples can be helpful in simplifying complex concepts. It is also important to listen to the audience's questions and concerns and address them in a way that is accessible to them.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics among non-physicists?

Some common misconceptions about physics among non-physicists include thinking that all physicists work in research labs or that physics is only relevant to high-tech industries. Another misconception is that physics is only for geniuses and cannot be understood by the general public.

4. How can I encourage non-physicists to become more interested in physics?

One way to encourage non-physicists to become more interested in physics is to make it relatable to their daily lives. Showing how physics plays a role in everyday activities, such as cooking or driving a car, can help spark interest. Hosting interactive demonstrations or hands-on activities can also make physics more engaging and accessible.

5. How can I continue the discussion with non-physicists outside of formal settings?

Outside of formal settings, you can continue the discussion with non-physicists by sharing interesting articles, videos, or other resources related to physics. You can also encourage them to attend public lectures or events related to physics and engage in online discussions or forums. Keeping the conversation going can help foster a deeper understanding and appreciation for physics.