Disk brakes along the rim of the wheel?

In summary, disk brakes along the rim of the wheel require less force to stop the wheel, but will require more distance to stop compared to brakes placed at the hub. This is because the torque at the hub is greater, but the wheel is moving slower. Ultimately, the force and area swept will be the same no matter where the brakes are placed.
Raama
Disk brakes along the rim of the wheel??

Hi friends,
I have a doubt. I heard that when we keep the disc brake along the rim of the wheel, less energy is required to stop the wheel. Why is it so?? Why is it not used in today's bikes?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

when we keep it along the rim of the wheel then torque about center of wheel increases and bike stops sooner

Disk brakes consist of a pair of calipers squeezing two parallel surfaces. Caliper brakes on a bicycle consist of of a pair of calipers squeezing the rim of the wheel. The rim surfaces are fairly parallel.

Congratulations, you've reinvented the bicycle caliper brake.

Raama said:
Hi friends,
I have a doubt. I heard that when we keep the disc brake along the rim of the wheel, less energy is required to stop the wheel. Why is it so?? Why is it not used in today's bikes?:confused:

Not less energy, just less force.

At the rim you won't have to squeeze as hard, but rim is moving faster, so more wheel will slide past the caliper before is stops. At the hub the torque is much greater, so you will have to squeeze much harder...but the hub is moving slower, so less wheel will slide past the caliper before it stops.

In the end, the squeeze force x area swept will be the same wherever you place the brakes.

I can provide some insight into this question. Disk brakes along the rim of the wheel were commonly used in the past, but they have been largely replaced by other types of braking systems such as drum brakes or disk brakes mounted on the hub of the wheel.

The main reason for this shift is due to the design and function of the braking system. Disk brakes along the rim of the wheel require a lot of force to be applied to the rim itself in order to stop the wheel. This can cause excessive wear and tear on the rim, leading to potential damage and a shorter lifespan of the wheel.

In contrast, disk brakes mounted on the hub of the wheel use a caliper and brake pads to apply pressure to a disk rotor attached to the hub. This allows for more precise and controlled braking, with less force being applied to the wheel itself. This results in less wear and tear on the wheel and a longer lifespan.

Additionally, the placement of the braking system on the hub allows for better heat dissipation, which is important for maintaining the effectiveness of the brakes. Rim-mounted disk brakes do not have this advantage and can overheat more easily, leading to decreased braking performance.

In summary, while disk brakes along the rim of the wheel may require less energy to stop the wheel, they are not as efficient or effective as other types of braking systems. This is why they are not commonly used in modern bikes.

1. How do disk brakes along the rim of the wheel work?

Disk brakes along the rim of the wheel work by using calipers to squeeze brake pads against a disk (or rotor) that is attached to the wheel. This creates friction and slows down the rotation of the wheel, ultimately stopping the vehicle.

2. What are the advantages of using disk brakes along the rim of the wheel?

The advantages of using disk brakes along the rim of the wheel include better stopping power, increased durability, and easier maintenance. They also perform well in wet or muddy conditions and do not produce as much heat and wear on the wheel as traditional rim brakes.

3. Are disk brakes along the rim of the wheel more effective than traditional rim brakes?

Yes, disk brakes along the rim of the wheel are generally more effective than traditional rim brakes. They provide better stopping power and are less affected by wet or muddy conditions. They also tend to require less maintenance and have a longer lifespan.

4. How do I know when it's time to replace the brake pads on disk brakes along the rim of the wheel?

You can tell it's time to replace the brake pads on disk brakes by checking the thickness of the pads. When they are worn down to about 3mm, it's recommended to replace them. You may also notice squeaking or grinding noises when applying the brakes, which can indicate that the pads are worn.

5. Can I upgrade my current rim brakes to disk brakes along the rim of the wheel?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from traditional rim brakes to disk brakes along the rim of the wheel. However, this may require new wheels and other components, so it's important to consult a professional mechanic before making the switch. Additionally, make sure that your bike frame and fork are compatible with disk brakes before making the upgrade.