Dispersion of light through a prism and block, changing the incident angle

In summary, when shining white light through a prism, increasing the incident angle increases both the first and second refracting angles. However, minimum deviation determines the angle at which the emerging light decreases, and this angle changes depending on the incident angle.
mayer
There was a question in one of my study materials that asked if you increased the incident angle of white light striking the surface of a glass prism, would the colors disperse less or more. The answer was disperse more. I didn't have an answer because I saw a conflict between the two boundaries. At the first interface, increasing the incident angle increases the angle of refraction. However, by my calculations, this results in a smaller incident angle at the second glass/air interface, and thus a smaller emergent angle. Wouldn't these two effects cancel out. The solutions stated that increasing the incident angle increases BOTH the first and second refracting angles. EDIT: Further research has led me to the idea of minimum deviation whereby the emerging angle decreases first til it hits this minimum deviation where it then starts to increase. However, in regards to the question, how would we know in relation to the incident angle whether we are above or below the minimum deviation. It could be above or below unless specified. My idea of minimum deviation is admittedly murky at the moment, I'm going to read more about it tomorrow, its very late.

Also a second question, I read on some site while searching for the answer to my first question that you get disperion when shining light straight through one of the flat sides of a cube or some other object with parallel sides. I thought that when you shine light through a flat film, the incident angle is equal to the emergent angle? EDIT: Wait a minute, just went scavenging for an answer for this one. The angles of each wavelength of light are the same but moved slightly away from each other right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. How does a prism disperse light?

A prism is a transparent object with flat, polished surfaces that can refract (bend) and reflect light. When a beam of light enters a prism, it is refracted and dispersed into its component colors due to the different wavelengths of light being bent at different angles. This is known as dispersion of light.

2. What is the phenomenon of refraction?

Refraction is the change in direction of a wave, such as light, as it passes through a medium with a different density. This change in direction is caused by the change in speed of the wave, and is what causes light to bend when passing through a prism.

3. How does the incident angle affect the dispersion of light in a prism?

The incident angle is the angle at which the beam of light enters the prism. As the incident angle increases, the amount of refraction also increases, causing the dispersion of light to become more pronounced. This is why you can see a rainbow of colors when light passes through a prism at different angles.

4. Can the incident angle be changed in a prism?

Yes, the incident angle can be changed by physically rotating the prism. The more the prism is rotated, the greater the change in the incident angle and therefore, the more dispersed the light will be.

5. How is the dispersion of light through a block different from a prism?

A block is a solid, transparent object that can also disperse light. However, unlike a prism which has a triangular shape, a block has a rectangular shape with parallel surfaces. This results in less dispersion of light, as the light is not bent as much as it passes through the block.